Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mcmillan tac rifles (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mcmillan-tac-rifles-64472/)

Rugers9 05-14-2012 08:55 PM

Mcmillan tac rifles
 
http://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifles-tactical.php
I found my rifle now I will just start saving for it why so much Haha.

What's your thought on their tactical rifles?
Does anyone have one?

hardluk1 05-14-2012 11:29 PM

If you have a quilified rifle smith in your area build one and save a few thousand dollars. Buy a mcmillian stock if that floats your boat. Start with a old beater rifle or many smiths all ready have some to start with. Good barrel like pac-nor krieger, douglas, lilja, and on, and on, also a better ttrigger. weeeee.

OR BUY THIS-http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
You can still aford a top end custom barrel IF needed and still be a couple grand ahead. Enought for a night force scope.

locutus 05-15-2012 12:29 AM

I must respectfully disagree. There are a handful of gunsmiths in the country that could build you a rifle of the quality of the McMillan.

And their services will cost as much as the McMillan.

IMHO, if you want true "top end" you have to pay "top price."

You could have Kenny Jarrett build you a rifle, but I doubt you'd save any money.

There are a few others, but by the time you buy a Remington 40X action, (the best) a Shilen, Lilja, or Krieger barrel, McMillan synthetic stock, have the action squared off, threads chased, scope rings bedded to the action, barrel hand lapped, and on and on, that master gunsmith is going to have many hours invested in your rifle. And true masters don't work for less than premium wages.

HostileSigPro40 05-15-2012 12:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey save some money and get you a Remington 700 SPS .308 tactical! There a heck of alot cheaper and are pretty much made the same minus the cheek pad. Academy has them for $600 and the whole stock is wrapped with the hogue rubber textured grip and has a really smooth bolt action with the big bull barrel to last you quite awhile. I absolutely love mine and so far I've reached out to about 850 yds with it and my groupings are staying 1" around the bulls eye with a couple of dead center hits! I'm planning on going with a good friend of mine up to his army base Ft. Hood to see how far I can actually reach with it. It will be interesting for me seeing that I'm retired Marine Corp going to a Army base! Lol but look it up I think you would like it if your wanting that kind of style for a rifle. Here's a couple pics of mine.

Rugers9 05-15-2012 01:49 AM

Been looking at the 700 it might have to grow on me

Vincine 05-15-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HostileSigPro40 (Post 801622)
Hey save some money and get you a Remington 700 SPS .308 tactical! . . . . . . . Here's a couple pics of mine.

I saw that one. A review I read said the barrel didn't free float when resting on the pod. Does it? Can you easily slide a bill between the barrel and the stock all the way down?

HostileSigPro40 05-15-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincine
I saw that one. A review I read said the barrel didn't free float when resting on the pod. Does it? Can you easily slide a bill between the barrel and the stock all the way down?

Good question I don't know, I've never tried it but now that you ask when I get home I'm gonna have to look at it and try it. This is my first entry level tactical rifle. I mean I have deer rifles, but this one is the first one I went with the tactical look and bull barrel. But I'll let you know. Thanks for the question.

KEYBEAR 05-15-2012 04:33 PM

The new sales pitch just put the word tactical on it and double the price .
I have a Remington PSS 308 that will shoot a 168 gr bullet better then you can shoot the rifle .
I think i have around 1100.00 in the gun . I have had this rifle for ten years and it shoots very well .

I bought the Rifle bedded the action myself ( it,s not hard and part of shooting) added a Rem 40x trigger and bipod .
A good shooting Rifle don,t need to cost that much and you built it up yourself .

HostileSigPro40 05-15-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEYBEAR
The new sales pitch just put the word tactical on it and double the price .
I have a Remington PSS 308 that will shoot a 168 gr bullet better then you can shoot the rifle .
I think i have around 1100.00 in the gun . I have had this rifle for ten years and it shoots very well .

I bought the Rifle bedded the action myself ( it,s not hard and part of shooting) added a Rem 40x trigger and bipod .
A good shooting Rifle don,t need to cost that much and you built it up yourself .

I agree with you totally sir! That's why I got my Remington 700 SPS .308 and I'm gradually building it up. The rifle and the scope cost me more than anything else I'll ever add on to the gun. I've only got maybe about $850 into mine and it shoots pretty dang good. I could bet that it could compete against any one of those high dollar rifles. Those custom shops just like to jack the cost up.

Vincine 05-15-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1 (Post 801491)
If you have a quilified rifle smith in your area build one and save a few thousand dollars. Buy a mcmillian stock if that floats your boat. Start with a old beater rifle or many smiths all ready have some to start with. Good barrel like pac-nor krieger, douglas, lilja, and on, and on, also a better ttrigger. weeeee.

OR BUY THIS-http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
You can still aford a top end custom barrel IF needed and still be a couple grand ahead. Enought for a night force scope.

This is a recipe from a sharpshooter on another forum. He sounds like he knows what he’s talking about from other posts on long range marksmanship that I’ve read.

[>This is where you need to start;

Buy a Remington, M700 rifle in .308 with a medium heavy barrel. From their current offering your best bet is the SPS VARMINT. ($600)
Dismount the stock and sell it or throw it away. It’s junk.
Buy a Bell & Carlson Light Tactical Stock. ($300)
Buy a Badger Ordnance 20moa steel scope base. ($150)
Buy a set of Badger Ordnance standard 30mm rings. ($165)
Buy a SWFA SS 10X42 Tactical Riflescope, HD model. ($800)
Buy a Harris S-LM bipod leg notch sling swivel stud mount, 9”-13”. ($90.00)

You are looking at an investment of $2,105 before you buy ammunition, cleaning gear, hard case, drag bag, range finder, log book, spotting scope, reloading components, ballistic software, etc.

Yes, that’s a whole lot of money. Nobody ever said that tactical precision shooting was cheap. But with the above described gear you are pretty much set. You could shave around $500 off the cost of the scope by not getting the HD model….but you’ll be sorry.

If you think you have a “better” idea go ahead with it and if you stay in this activity any length of time you’ll wish you’d have taken this advice.
<]

And then there's these:

https://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackages.phtml

Of course, the proof is in the group.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:46 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.