maybe a stupid question but i'm still pretty new to guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > maybe a stupid question but i'm still pretty new to guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default maybe a stupid question but i'm still pretty new to guns

i haven't taken my new 30-06 (used but new to me) out to the range and the end of the barrel looks pretty narrow and it doesn't look like the 30-06 bullet fits through there i help the tip of the bullet to the tip of the barrel and it doesn't look like it would match up? is this supposed to be like this? does the bullet shrink when it gets fired or is my rifle messed up? it kinda makes me scared to shoot it

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith84 View Post
i haven't taken my new 30-06 (used but new to me) out to the range and the end of the barrel looks pretty narrow and it doesn't look like the 30-06 bullet fits through there i help the tip of the bullet to the tip of the barrel and it doesn't look like it would match up? is this supposed to be like this? does the bullet shrink when it gets fired or is my rifle messed up? it kinda makes me scared to shoot it
Bullet diameters are larger than bore diameters. The bullet needs to ride the rifling of the barrel. You are sure it is a .30-06? Says so on the barrel? If so, you should be good to go.

And, no, bullets don't shrink, they actually expand.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #3

yeah i'm sure its a 30-06 it says it on the rifle. so the bullet still exits it being larger? its safe to fire?

Old 08-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You have 2 different diameters in a rifled bore-land diameter & groove diameter. The bullet is groove diameter and the land diameter will be smaller so it's natural for the bullet to not fit the bore by hand. Upon firing the bullet it's pushed down the bore, with the rifling from the lands engraving in the bullet.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I can't tell you if the rifle is safe to fire. If is in good condition and the moving parts are moving....on and on. What bear and I have said is that your bullet will not slide in by hand. This is because the bullet needs to "bite into" the rifling allowing it to spin and be accurate.

If I bought a good used rifle in working condition with a clear bore, I would fire it. Does that help?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-30-2009, 02:49 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Look what they are trying to tell you is this.

polygonal_vs_normal_rifling.jpg

In your rifle this is what it looks like.

Your bullet is .308" in diameter if you don't believe me check sierrabullet.com They will set you straight on bullet diameter. Your rifling is called Lands: Like ISLANDS raised above the water Lands rise above the barrel diameter. The Low part is called grooves like grooves in concrete. So that the rifling imparts spin on the bullet making it accurate the lands need to be smaller than the bullet IE lands are .307" in diameter and the bullet is .308" in diameter.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:27 AM   #7

Liked 1154 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 363

If your in doubt, take it to a gun smith and ask them to check it out and make sure its safe to fire. Let them know you are new to guns. Don't be embarrassed to ask a question that involves your safety or that of others around you.

You can get great information from this board but actually seeing it makes a world of difference.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-03-2009, 04:42 AM   #8

Thanks guys, that is unexpected news to me. Nice explanations.

Am a middle-aged late-bloomer with guns and in my vast ignorance, did not know that.
Those copper jackets must also be quite flexible.
Am about to learn reloading, but will be gradually buying the most basic, low-cost equipment for my two Lee-Enfields (#4 and #5).

Let's exclude the subject of corrosive ammo for a bit.

With good Non-corrosive ammo such as "Rem-chester" and Prvi Partizan etc., is most groove/land wear caused by allowing powder residue to erode the bore, by scraping everything each time more powder/bullets blast out?

Last edited by Laufer; 09-03-2009 at 04:52 AM.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2854 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
Thanks guys, that is unexpected news to me. Nice explanations.

Am a middle-aged late-bloomer with guns and in my vast ignorance, did not know that.
Those copper jackets must also be quite flexible.
Am about to learn reloading, but will be gradually buying the most basic, low-cost equipment for my two Lee-Enfields (#4 and #5).

Let's exclude the subject of corrosive ammo for a bit.

With good Non-corrosive ammo such as "Rem-chester" and Prvi Partizan etc., is most groove/land wear caused by allowing powder residue to erode the bore, by scraping everything each time more powder/bullets blast out?
Copper jacketed, lead core bullets are significantly softer than barrel steel. It would take millions of rounds to cause significant wear in a barrel. Dirty barrels have powder residue (carbon, ash, soot, etc), primer residue (lead, barium and antimony) and copper residue from the bullets that pass down the bore. If a barrel were to be cleaned after every shot, I cannot imabine how long it would last.

Improper cleaning techniques are also responsible for some of the wear (some believe the majority of the wear). Using the proper tools, in the proper way shouldminimize the impact of this wear. Aluminum or plastic coated cleaning rods should be used. Case should be taken to avoid scraping the inside of the barrel with the rod. Aluminum is also softer than barrel steel but the carbon that may adhere to it is abrasive. Using the proper size bore brush and insuring the steel core does not scrape the bore reduces the potential for wear. Do not change directions in the bore with a bore brush. Push it all the way through then pull it backthrough. Some do not like to draw the now dirty brush back through the bore. They unscrew it from the rod and then extract the rod.

Properly cared for, most rifle barrels are capable of shooting many thousands of shots before they show a significant reduction in accuracy.

The carbon residue can be slightly abrasive

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-08-2009, 05:40 AM   #10

robocop:

That is an excellent description.