Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   maybe a stupid question but i'm still pretty new to guns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/maybe-stupid-question-but-im-still-pretty-new-guns-17496/)

dsmith84 08-30-2009 12:34 AM

maybe a stupid question but i'm still pretty new to guns

i haven't taken my new 30-06 (used but new to me) out to the range and the end of the barrel looks pretty narrow and it doesn't look like the 30-06 bullet fits through there i help the tip of the bullet to the tip of the barrel and it doesn't look like it would match up? is this supposed to be like this? does the bullet shrink when it gets fired or is my rifle messed up? it kinda makes me scared to shoot it

skullcrusher 08-30-2009 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsmith84 (Post 152841)
i haven't taken my new 30-06 (used but new to me) out to the range and the end of the barrel looks pretty narrow and it doesn't look like the 30-06 bullet fits through there i help the tip of the bullet to the tip of the barrel and it doesn't look like it would match up? is this supposed to be like this? does the bullet shrink when it gets fired or is my rifle messed up? it kinda makes me scared to shoot it

Bullet diameters are larger than bore diameters. The bullet needs to ride the rifling of the barrel. You are sure it is a .30-06? Says so on the barrel? If so, you should be good to go.

And, no, bullets don't shrink, they actually expand. :eek:

dsmith84 08-30-2009 12:55 AM

yeah i'm sure its a 30-06 it says it on the rifle. so the bullet still exits it being larger? its safe to fire?

stalkingbear 08-30-2009 01:09 AM

You have 2 different diameters in a rifled bore-land diameter & groove diameter. The bullet is groove diameter and the land diameter will be smaller so it's natural for the bullet to not fit the bore by hand. Upon firing the bullet it's pushed down the bore, with the rifling from the lands engraving in the bullet.

skullcrusher 08-30-2009 01:30 AM

I can't tell you if the rifle is safe to fire. If is in good condition and the moving parts are moving....on and on. What bear and I have said is that your bullet will not slide in by hand. This is because the bullet needs to "bite into" the rifling allowing it to spin and be accurate.

If I bought a good used rifle in working condition with a clear bore, I would fire it. Does that help?

cpttango30 08-30-2009 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Look what they are trying to tell you is this.

Attachment 5555

In your rifle this is what it looks like.

Your bullet is .308" in diameter if you don't believe me check sierrabullet.com They will set you straight on bullet diameter. Your rifling is called Lands: Like ISLANDS raised above the water Lands rise above the barrel diameter. The Low part is called grooves like grooves in concrete. So that the rifling imparts spin on the bullet making it accurate the lands need to be smaller than the bullet IE lands are .307" in diameter and the bullet is .308" in diameter.

Yunus 08-30-2009 04:27 AM

If your in doubt, take it to a gun smith and ask them to check it out and make sure its safe to fire. Let them know you are new to guns. Don't be embarrassed to ask a question that involves your safety or that of others around you.

You can get great information from this board but actually seeing it makes a world of difference.

Laufer 09-03-2009 05:42 AM

Thanks guys, that is unexpected news to me. Nice explanations.

Am a middle-aged late-bloomer with guns and in my vast ignorance, did not know that.
Those copper jackets must also be quite flexible.
Am about to learn reloading, but will be gradually buying the most basic, low-cost equipment for my two Lee-Enfields (#4 and #5).

Let's exclude the subject of corrosive ammo for a bit.

With good Non-corrosive ammo such as "Rem-chester" and Prvi Partizan etc., is most groove/land wear caused by allowing powder residue to erode the bore, by scraping everything each time more powder/bullets blast out?

robocop10mm 09-03-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laufer (Post 154802)
Thanks guys, that is unexpected news to me. Nice explanations.

Am a middle-aged late-bloomer with guns and in my vast ignorance, did not know that.
Those copper jackets must also be quite flexible.
Am about to learn reloading, but will be gradually buying the most basic, low-cost equipment for my two Lee-Enfields (#4 and #5).

Let's exclude the subject of corrosive ammo for a bit.

With good Non-corrosive ammo such as "Rem-chester" and Prvi Partizan etc., is most groove/land wear caused by allowing powder residue to erode the bore, by scraping everything each time more powder/bullets blast out?

Copper jacketed, lead core bullets are significantly softer than barrel steel. It would take millions of rounds to cause significant wear in a barrel. Dirty barrels have powder residue (carbon, ash, soot, etc), primer residue (lead, barium and antimony) and copper residue from the bullets that pass down the bore. If a barrel were to be cleaned after every shot, I cannot imabine how long it would last.

Improper cleaning techniques are also responsible for some of the wear (some believe the majority of the wear). Using the proper tools, in the proper way shouldminimize the impact of this wear. Aluminum or plastic coated cleaning rods should be used. Case should be taken to avoid scraping the inside of the barrel with the rod. Aluminum is also softer than barrel steel but the carbon that may adhere to it is abrasive. Using the proper size bore brush and insuring the steel core does not scrape the bore reduces the potential for wear. Do not change directions in the bore with a bore brush. Push it all the way through then pull it backthrough. Some do not like to draw the now dirty brush back through the bore. They unscrew it from the rod and then extract the rod.

Properly cared for, most rifle barrels are capable of shooting many thousands of shots before they show a significant reduction in accuracy.

The carbon residue can be slightly abrasive

Laufer 09-08-2009 06:40 AM

robocop:

That is an excellent description.