Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Maybe I am CRAZY BUT....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Maybe I am CRAZY BUT....

Gentlemen,
...since the CMP is out of the M1 Garand Rifle I see a drop off on many of the M1 Garand Boards. It looks like they have slowed down. I also see a pickup in info and data on the M14's. Do you guys think this is just a small dip and will not last long, or do you think that the sharks have had their run and many of the guys are cutting back?? Also I think another part may be funding is not there for the higher Garand prices??
Drop a reply guys I would like to see what you guys thing about this.

Check out my sites if you have the time. Updates coming soon. TIA
Thanks again
Clancy

NRA Life Endowment
NRA Training Counselor to make NRA Instructor's
NRA Instructor in Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Fire Arm and Personal Protection
USNI
FSS 90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF
Stone Soda Can Hammer
THA 63

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I was interested in picking up a Garand for awhile. Then I saw the ridiculous prices people were asking for a 60 year old surplused rifle, that had been arsenal refinished once or twice. I think in a few years you will see prices drop once the "Garand craze" passes. For younger guys like me the idea of spending that kind of money on a rifle of out dated design thats been out of service since before our fathers were born just doesnt fly. I am not trying to bash the Garand, it is just the inflated market price that doesnt set well with me.

I doubt you will ever see the M14 gain the same level of interest as the M1 had. There can never be a surplus maket of M14's obviously. Also they didnt have a long run in service, and only one company builds civilian legal copies that go for $1,500 just for a base model. Oh the current pricing and lack of 7.62x51mm doesnt help either. I sold my AR10 recently for just that reason. Shooting at $18 a mag is no good.

Last edited by BrassMonkey; 05-09-2007 at 05:31 AM.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah and you can find the Norinco version of the M14 which is very nice but is starting to get pricey again..I have a M14A made by Federal Oradance with all US GI parts..You can find decent deals if you look..but if you are hell bent on a springfield ..then yeah you will pay.....

Old 05-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #4

Default I have to agree with the previous posters.

An old, refurbished rifle should not sell for the prices they ask.

The refurbished M1 carbines coming this month are priced as high as NEW M1
carbine clones made by IMI and others. Plus, they will have No sling, No oiler and NO magazines. What the...? For that kind of money I can buy an AK variant in 7.62 X 39 AND a Saiga .223 - and they come with oilers, magazines and are NEW.

CMP was a great idea way back when, but selling inferior refubished rifles at exorbitant prices is not going to improve many civilian "marksmen".

Old 05-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #5

Gentlemen,
You guys can thank Ted Kennedy for the prices at CMP. Back in the mid-70's I ran DCM shoots. DCM gave you ammo, targets and rifles to shoot the course with. ALL FREE. Then came Mr Kennedy. He wanted the DCM shut down and the Dem's almost got the job done. They didn't get the votes needed to close the DCM BUT they got the funding from the US ARMY cut to ZERO. DCM had to change to stay alive. What they had to do was change into the CMP and had to fund the whole operation. Under the old DCM you could buy only 1 rifle in a lifetime at about 99 bucks. Well, CMP let you buy more then 1 rifle and had to keep raising the price to stay alive. You guys know that prices on almost anything has gone up, so the CMP had to raise their prices. Remember, CMP has done a great job in getting these Rifles into your hands.
Just think about it.
Thanks again
Clancy

Old 05-17-2007, 03:10 AM   #6

Default Thank you for your input.

And I agree that Mr Kennedy and the Democrats caused prices to rise on all firearms and accessories.

I am glad that the CMP stayed alive, and I pray that someday they can return to their original function. But as long as the BATFE runs roughshod over the Constitution with Democrat assistance, I cannot bring myself to pay huge prices for used, refurbished guns - that my ancestors tax dollars bought in the first damn place!

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:12 AM   #7

Default But you should know I am an old grump -

I still don't like that new-fangled M16.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:38 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
I doubt you will ever see the M14 gain the same level of interest as the M1 had. There can never be a surplus maket of M14's obviously. Also they didnt have a long run in service, and only one company builds civilian legal copies that go for $1,500 just for a base model. Oh the current pricing and lack of 7.62x51mm doesnt help either. I sold my AR10 recently for just that reason. Shooting at $18 a mag is no good.
Hmm...M14. Adopted in 1957. Still being issued in 2008. Not too bad.

Springfield Armory Incorporated. Still making M14 (M1A) rifles.
LRB Arms. Currently making M14's using hammer forged receivers.
Smith Enterprise. Currently manufacturing rifles using LRB receivers.
Armscorp. Stopped production 2007.
Smith Enterprise. Previously manufactured Cast Receiver rifles, and Bar Stock (forged) receiver rifles.
Federal Ordnance. Stopped production early 1990's.

There are a couple of other M14 manufacturers, including Norinco and Poly Tech, but those above will suffice.