Mauser rifle Comparision: Mauser k98 vs M24 series

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mauser rifle Comparision: Mauser k98 vs M24 series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Mauser rifle Comparision: Mauser k98 vs M24 series

Hello all,

I would like to hear your opinion about these two Mauser family members:

Rifle 1:The Mauser k98 (Built between 1941-1943...when the Germans could still afford the production of a high quality rifle)

Rifle 2:Mauser M24 series
You can choose between
Belgian FN 24
Czech vz. 24
Serbian M24

What I need to know is the following:
-What rifle is the most accurate?
-What rifle has the fastest action?
-What rifle has the most solid structure(abuse-resistant)?
-What rifle has the highest quality design?
-What rifle would be your weapon of choice?
-What are the strongest and the weakest points of both rifles?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #2

Liked 751 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

You're not talking apples to apples here. 1st off the K98a appeared in WWI, it was modified until the 98k series. The Belgian and Serbian M24 are one in the same rifle, They were produced in Belgium with an intermediate action. Original Belgian M24's have the receiver in white, no blueing. The vz24 was basically a K98 but it had a strait bolt handle instead of a bent like the K98k.
They all are very robust, since they all are 98 varients. Accuracy is also a toss up as they all used the same cartridge. Accuracy is based more on the quality of the cartridge as the rifles are about equal although during the war the K98k slipped a little and the other 2 were not in production.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Maybe I didn't wrote it correctly...it was my mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
You're not talking apples to apples here. 1st off the K98a appeared in WWI, it was modified until the 98k series. The Belgian and Serbian M24 are one in the same rifle, They were produced in Belgium with an intermediate action. Original Belgian M24's have the receiver in white, no blueing. The vz24 was basically a K98 but it had a strait bolt handle instead of a bent like the K98k.
They all are very robust, since they all are 98 varients. Accuracy is also a toss up as they all used the same cartridge. Accuracy is based more on the quality of the cartridge as the rifles are about equal although during the war the K98k slipped a little and the other 2 were not in production.
I meant Mauser K98k - I don't know why I thought that it was obvious, but you're right, it was not(The are several variants of the Kar 98 - a, b, m, k).

Regarding the rest...well. I would not consider the vz24 as "basically" a K98k...when its production began, the Kar98k wasn't neither designed yet.

Regarding the ammo, you're right....it is a foundamental factor.But so it is the quality of the bolt, the length of the barrel, the position of the recoil lug,the quality of the bore, etc ....So we can still discuss about the accuracy of these rifles...even assuming that the ammo is a very important factor

Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #4

Ok, so the czechs started production of the vz24 in 1924. The Germans started production of the 98k in 1934. The vz24 is still patterned after the K98 series. The vz24 was not produced for the most part in a war time enviroment except before the Germans changed the pattern to the K98k in 1942. Why would the vz24 and K98 have so many interchangable parts?? The vz24 was based on the GEW98.

OK the question: The K98k and vz24 share a large ring standard Mauser reciever, identical bolt specifications, The vz 24 was 43.3" long w/ a 23.23" barrel. The K98k was 43.7" long and a 23.6" barrel.
Both rifles ranged from 8.35 to 9.3lb in weight. Depending on the type of wood or laminate.
The Belgian M24 was an intermediate action, slightly shorter then the 98. It still used the same design for the bolt, but again shortened. Weight of the rifle was still in the same range as the K98. Only the K98k used a bent bolt.
Steel of the time was about equal in strength. All used a 4 groove 1:240mm twist (1:9.5").
Actual accuracy for minute of man w/ open sights was 500 meters for all.
Brno has always been known for quality as is Mauser. The FN Mausers are excellent also. To find a untouched Serbian M24 would be a true feat. The 24/47 has a reputation of excellent accuracy. The actions are basicly the same, so they are all smooth, fast and very reliable. It is really up to the individual shooter as to what works for them. The K98k has the advantage of a bent bolt, so you don't loose your sight picture.
I have a 1945DOU K98k and a Yugo 24/47. I've owned others in the past. Found dogs in pristine vet bring backs. Could not hit the broad side of a barn and had beaters that shot great. There is no "correct" answer.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #5

Liked 2407 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Yes, there are many similarities. It really would come down to individual rifles, and condition as far as accuracy goes. each model from a design standpoint have the same potential for robustness and accuracy. The design is still all mauser. They pretty much share teh same strengths and weaknesses, robustness of design, and speed of action. They are all based on the model 1898 action.

If you wanted to compare a 1895 or 1896 action to the 1898 then you could have some discussion on robustness, and speed of action, because of the recoil lugs, gas venting, receiver ring diameter, cock on closing versus cock on open and close, etc.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Yes, there are many similarities. It really would come down to individual rifles, and condition as far as accuracy goes. each model from a design standpoint have the same potential for robustness and accuracy. The design is still all mauser. They pretty much share teh same strengths and weaknesses, robustness of design, and speed of action. They are all based on the model 1898 action.

If you wanted to compare a 1895 or 1896 action to the 1898 then you could have some discussion on robustness, and speed of action, because of the recoil lugs, gas venting, receiver ring diameter, cock on closing versus cock on open and close, etc.
Did you really want me to go there?? I did attempt to stay on subject for once.
But, every point you made is correct.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #7

Liked 2407 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Did you really want me to go there?? I did attempt to stay on subject for once.
But, every point you made is correct.
I thought you were doing great. But I could see a lot if what you weren't saying just coming up further on down the road. Wasn't trying to be harsh. Just getting to the point.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I thought you were doing great. But I could see a lot if what you weren't saying just coming up further on down the road. Wasn't trying to be harsh. Just getting to the point.
Not harse at all. Well done.