Mauser K98 Custom Build - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mauser K98 Custom Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 93 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just thinking about your rebuild plans, Got me excited for you.
Your going to have a literal "blast' putting that rifle together! Know I did with my 9.3.

The barrel decision will be what makes that rifle - Don't get in a hurry with it. But Keep working on it while gathering up the other parts you'll need. I picked a Timney trigger for my Mauser which had its own safety. This required inleting a std Mauser stock for that safety. I'm assuming you will be doing the stock fit and bedding? - I did and was one of the real fun steps for me.

On mine, I had the rear hump of the receiver ground smooth and drilled/tapped for a flat 2 screw rear scope mount. I didn't like either the 1 screw bases or the 2 screw that fits over the hump. Had this done before the barrel was installed so got the receiver, barrel and bottom metal all reblued together.
People Like This 
Old 12-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Pics for sputnik since sending pics through PM is a PITA.

The barrel before it was cleaned. (looks a little better now)

The bore under a powerful magnifying glass. (sorry these are a little blurry. These are the best pics I could get.)

bore-1.jpg

The bore now.

bore-2.jpg
sputnik1988 Likes This 
Old 12-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
TWW, looks like the basis for an interesting build that i want to see happen.

personally, i like the idea of the cartridge you have chosen, and for the same reasons as you chose it for. i too am a sucker for the oddball stuff!

my suggestions for the barrel? i would go a heavier varmint contour, and maybe even give some thought to fluting to help with cooling the barrel a bit. i would see what the optimum length is for that particular cartridge and then also do a target crown on the muzzle.

all the other odds and ends? Brownell's and MidwayUSA are going to be your friends! both carry lots of parts for the Mauser rifles. Boyd's Gun Stocks carries a lot of different stock options for that actions as well, in laminates and walnut. also don't forget about Numrich either.

tagging along and looking forward to seeing this rifle being built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
tww,

1) I like the 6.5x57, but since you have an action that will handle 30-06 length cartridges - you should really consider the 6.5-06. The bottom metal and magazene you'll need to find for that action will also accomodate the 6.5-06. An extra 150 FPS at the muzzle will also help your 500 yd accuracy goal - i.e. less wind drift, etc.

2) I used Shillen in the past but most manufacturers offer a "magmum contour" barrel - This should be close to what your describing you want.

3) Looking up 6.5 bullet lengths, shows 140 gr BTs are 1.26" to 1.43" long w/ the Berger target bullets being the longest. So your be looking for a barrel w/ twist rates of 1:9 to 1:7.

Here's how the barrel decision gets entwined w/ twist rate:
The faster Mz velocity requires less twist to stablize the bullet. So a 1:9 will work well with the 6.5-06 and a 26" barrel. Now, that heavier barrel contour will add some significant weight the longer you go. S&B lists a Mz velocity of only 775 m/s w/ a 60 cm barrel length for their 6.5x57. At that lower velocity and a shorter 22" barrel the twist rate needs to be increased to 1:7 and the barrel weight is lower. Inbetween is the 1:8 twist rate plus you can probably better that 6.5x57 S&B velocity with reloading.
Thanks guys. I'll look into those barrel contours. As for the 6.5-06, I considered it, but decided to pass on it for this rifle. This will not be the last rifle I build. I have a HEAVY target rifle build planned, and was going to use 6.5-06 for it.

Quote:
Just thinking about your rebuild plans, Got me excited for you.
Your going to have a literal "blast' putting that rifle together! Know I did with my 9.3.

The barrel decision will be what makes that rifle - Don't get in a hurry with it. But Keep working on it while gathering up the other parts you'll need. I picked a Timney trigger for my Mauser which had its own safety. This required inleting a std Mauser stock for that safety. I'm assuming you will be doing the stock fit and bedding? - I did and was one of the real fun steps for me.

On mine, I had the rear hump of the receiver ground smooth and drilled/tapped for a flat 2 screw rear scope mount. I didn't like either the 1 screw bases or the 2 screw that fits over the hump. Had this done before the barrel was installed so got the receiver, barrel and bottom metal all reblued together.
I'm excited too.

Thanks for the info. I plan on using a Timney trigger, and plan on fitting and bedding the stock as well. As for the bluing, I was thinking of a nice classic rust blueing.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 12-14-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #14

Liked 1295 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Aaron,I went with a Shilen 5.5 contour barrel on my 6.5-06. It's basically a light varmint contour with a .750" muzzle diameter. It will weigh around 4.4 lbs. I chose this contour over the magnum sporter contour since it will allow more shots before it gets hot.
I figure my rifle should weigh about 9.5-10 lbs with the scope,rings,and base on it. That's a lot lighter than most of my other rifles that I hunt with.
North American Hunting Club
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 12-15-2013, 03:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Aaron,I went with a Shilen 5.5 contour barrel on my 6.5-06. It's basically a light varmint contour with a .750" muzzle diameter. It will weigh around 4.4 lbs. I chose this contour over the magnum sporter contour since it will allow more shots before it gets hot.
I figure my rifle should weigh about 9.5-10 lbs with the scope,rings,and base on it. That's a lot lighter than most of my other rifles that I hunt with.
I'll look into that barrel too. I MAY take this gun hunting, but it will mainly be a target rifle. Plus, a little extra weight doesn't bother me. What advantage would a heavy varmint contour have over a light varmint contour as far as accuracy is concerned?
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-15-2013, 04:17 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I'll look into that barrel too. I MAY take this gun hunting, but it will mainly be a target rifle. Plus, a little extra weight doesn't bother me. What advantage would a heavy varmint contour have over a light varmint contour as far as accuracy is concerned?
should not be any huge differences in accuracy from the barrel contour itself. only when more shots are fired in rapid succession and from the barrel getting hot. a heavier barrel will be able to make more shots before heat becomes an issue.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
should not be any huge differences in accuracy from the barrel contour itself. only when more shots are fired in rapid succession and from the barrel getting hot. a heavier barrel will be able to make more shots before heat becomes an issue.
Thanks.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #18

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:

On mine, I had the rear hump of the receiver ground smooth and drilled/tapped for a flat 2 screw rear scope mount. I didn't like either the 1 screw bases or the 2 screw that fits over the hump.
I had that done to mine as well.

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 12-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #19

Numrich has a bent bolt in stock, so I went ahead and ordered it. Should be here next week.

BTW, this gun has no import marks on it that I can find. Does that mean it's a vet bring back?

Also, there's a few odd things about this rifle. I'll post pics and explain later.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Numrich has a bent bolt in stock, so I went ahead and ordered it. Should be here next week.

BTW, this gun has no import marks on it that I can find. Does that mean it's a vet bring back?

Also, there's a few odd things about this rifle. I'll post pics and explain later.
or shipped into the USA before 1968?