Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mauser and Enfield Rifle Info Needed (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mauser-enfield-rifle-info-needed-79214/)

Colby 12-23-2012 10:52 AM

Mauser and Enfield Rifle Info Needed

I have run into an opportunity to buy either a Mauser or Enfield rifle. I don't know much about these guns but I have seen and handled these guns and they both appear in good original condition - not refinished or otherwise "doctored up". These rifles interest me from a traditional/historic point of view. They were important field rifles in the World Wars. I appreciate historical.
Offeror describes the first as a Mauser 98 - said it is chambered in 7mm. Is this possible - normal - desirable? What would be the full descriptor of the cartridge? Availabliity? I don't know the chambering history of the guns and whether the guns were rechambered and if so, what was involved and was it a sound thing to do to a gun.

The second gun - looking to be in good condition also - was described as an Enfield 308. He said chambered in .308. Was this gun originally chambered in .308? - I thought .303. Were some converted? How was the conversion done? Successful?

I've begun searching online - but these guns have a lot of info available on them - many books and guides written. I don't have time enough to find the books and research, and I don't have particulars - serial numbers, markings - from the two guns.

They do appear to be nice examples of original or near original military working condition, though.

Any help on these two rifles would be very much appreciated.

303tom 12-23-2012 12:15 PM

If it is a K98 Mauser it should be chambered in 7.92x57, but Mauser`s were chambered in lots of calibers, as far as the Enfield goes if it is .308/7.62x51 NATO it is a Ishapore 2A/2A1 & yes they were purposely built, hope this helps............

TLuker 12-23-2012 12:24 PM

Many Mausers were made in 7mm, which is 7x57 also known as 7mm Mauser. Various Enfields were also made in .308 - 7.62x51 but those were later models.

robertb6112 12-23-2012 12:34 PM

I would get the Mauser. There a little harder to come by and there going up in price.

c3shooter 12-23-2012 02:40 PM

The ".308" Enfield would be an Ishapore, and it is NOT in .308 Winchester- they were made in 7.62 NATO. You should NOT fire civilian .308 Winchester in it.

Trez 12-23-2012 03:12 PM

Werent Mausers in 7mm Mexican or Spanish?

robocop10mm 12-23-2012 04:42 PM

The vast majority of Mausers in 7mm were NOT 98's. They were small rings in the 96 pattern. It does make a difference. The Spanish Mausers in 7mm were very good guns, I have 2.

The Ishapore 7.62 Enfields I have handled had SCARY triggers. I have walked away from every one I have ever handled. The Enfield action is not as "tuff" as the Mauser. Replacement bolt heads were made to compensate for wear. Those have all but dried up. I am surprised no one has come up with commercial relacements.

Colby 12-24-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1063179)
The ".308" Enfield would be an Ishapore, and it is NOT in .308 Winchester- they were made in 7.62 NATO. You should NOT fire civilian .308 Winchester in it.

C3,
Thanks!
It looks like the NATO Chambers are slightly longer than the .308 chambers... and the casings to fit those chambers, too.
So using a .308 in a NATO chamber could stretch the casing - and possibly burst the casing!
Am I reading this right??

This puts a different light on the Enfield.

Much appreciated!

Colby 12-24-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1063328)
The vast majority of Mausers in 7mm were NOT 98's. They were small rings in the 96 pattern. It does make a difference. The Spanish Mausers in 7mm were very good guns, I have 2.

The Ishapore 7.62 Enfields I have handled had SCARY triggers. I have walked away from every one I have ever handled. The Enfield action is not as "tuff" as the Mauser. Replacement bolt heads were made to compensate for wear. Those have all but dried up. I am surprised no one has come up with commercial relacements.

Robocop,

What is wrong with the triggers??

And does the action fail??

I came across a unique final part (maybe 3/4 inch) of the bolt throw mechanism in the Enfield which some consider a good thing - allowing a faster cartridge change. Any truth here?

Is the Enfield just not a very desirable gun to own? Is it more of a wall hanging piece?
This particular one that I've seen is pretty nice looking - no refinishing and not overly beatup - but rather looking like a well cared for infantryman's battle rifle - showing some field usage.

Colby 12-24-2012 08:19 AM

The guy wants $375 for each of these two guns. Out of line??? Or...