Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mauser conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default mauser conversions

Hi, all gun experts I have a couple of questions. I have a Turk mauser that I want to convert to a 8mm rem mag. I understand that this can be done with a 8mm mauser without having to change the barrel (in addition to doing other things, of course). I also understand that some Turks have a large ring and a short shank. My questions: How do I determine if mine is this type, and then does it make any difference? Can I convert this gun to 8mm rem mag using the original barrel even tho it is (if it is) a large ring short shank gun? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #2

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjumper View Post
Hi, all gun experts I have a couple of questions. I have a Turk mauser that I want to convert to a 8mm rem mag. I understand that this can be done with a 8mm mauser without having to change the barrel (in addition to doing other things, of course). I also understand that some Turks have a large ring and a short shank. My questions: How do I determine if mine is this type, and then does it make any difference? Can I convert this gun to 8mm rem mag using the original barrel even tho it is (if it is) a large ring short shank gun? Thanks
8mm Rem Mag is too long for the mag well and action. The bolt would have to be modified for the case head. Even Though your barrel is 8mm, it is not made to handle the 65,000psi the 8mm Rem mag turns out. The barrel twist would also have issues w/ 220gr bullets. If you are looking for a big boost in performance, go 9.3x62. You can have the barrel re cut and the chamber cut, or just rebarrel it. Out standing round and it will work easily w/ your rifle.
I like the lowly 9.3x57 w/ 270 and 286gr bullets. Whitetail fold in 1/2.

Edit: I forgot to tell you, there are quite a few Cast lead manufacturers that make a .285gr GCCL. You can safely load to 9.3x57 velosities for thinner skinned game.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 11-28-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #3

I picked up a beater years ago at a shop that was collecting dust because you had to load your own ammo which didnt matter to ma at all. Its an 8 mm mauser that was rechambered to the 8mm/06. It is actually a very good round and will take anything down that you hit with it, its a cheap conversion but if I was you I'd leave it alone the old 8mm is a good round.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 AM   #4

Default mauser conversion

Thanks for the responses, I know I need to do come work on the bolt head and the chamber, I was just hoping to avoid a barrel change as well. So you say that the existing barrel won't handle the mag rounds? Even it it isn't a short shank insert? Nuts. I was trying to make this as cheap as possible. I already have a stock I finished, and a reamer. The finish is about 88% so I wouldn't have to refinish the metal if the barrel fit. I have a 7mm rem mag and a 300 win mag, plus several lighter rifles such as a 30.06 and .270. I wanted this 8mm mag for in between--that could handle a bear or moose if needed. Also, what about how I can tell if I have a full big ring or a modified Turk>

Old 11-29-2010, 03:34 AM   #5

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjumper View Post
Thanks for the responses, I know I need to do come work on the bolt head and the chamber, I was just hoping to avoid a barrel change as well. So you say that the existing barrel won't handle the mag rounds? Even it it isn't a short shank insert? Nuts. I was trying to make this as cheap as possible. I already have a stock I finished, and a reamer. The finish is about 88% so I wouldn't have to refinish the metal if the barrel fit. I have a 7mm rem mag and a 300 win mag, plus several lighter rifles such as a 30.06 and .270. I wanted this 8mm mag for in between--that could handle a bear or moose if needed. Also, what about how I can tell if I have a full big ring or a modified Turk>

Pics of receiver and bolt!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #6

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

I really don't feel that any 98 Mauser is suitable for full length magnum cartridges like the 375 H&H or the 8MM Remington. I did actually do the conversion you ask about. This was about 25 years ago. I lengthened the magazine as much as possible to the rear. I shrink fitted a sleeve over the chamber portion of the barrel. The rest of the mag lengthening was at the front and I opened up the ejection port so a loaded round could be ejected. It worked out but if I ever see that rifle again, I'll buy it and tear it apart. GD

Old 11-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #7

Default mauser conversion

Greydog, you said your conversion attempt worked, but if given the chance you would "tear the gun apart". Why, what happened with the conversion? I am curious, especially if it will help convince me that my plans are not too smart.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #8

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts

The conversion, which I did back in the mid-80's, did work out OK but I now believe I should never have done it. The action was not suitable for a cartidge of that length and the modifications necessary did weaken the action. That it did hold up OK doesn't alter the fact. Like many older gunsmiths, my views on what is or is not appropriate have changed over the years. I would not do such a conversion again. GD