Mauser 98k
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mauser 98k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 05:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mauser 98k

I have a 1939 Mauser 98k that has been in my family for many years.
However, it has always been missing the entire action.
I was wondering if anybody knew where to buy an action. I know the trigger and the whole magazine spring have to be replaced also but that is part of an entire action. It doesn't have to be original.
Pictures are attached and if anyone could tell me if it is even a worthwhile project, that would be great. Thanks!

photo-5-.jpg   photo-6-.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Hi Dave! Welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, stop by the Intro section, and say howdy.

Back to your question- the part you are missing appears to be the bolt. The good news- they are available. Bad news- they are damned pricey. check HERE: Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories Bad news 2- bolts are not just a drop in part- they need to be fitted by a gunsmith. Problem is that the headspace may be off, making the gun eith impossible or unsafe to fire.

Whether yours is worth restoring- from a money standpoint- no. You can put $400 into it, and have a good $250 rifle. From a fun standpoint- maybe. Depends on the condition of the barrel. The ammo these rifles used was corrosive primed- if not cleaned after shooting, the bore could rust, develop pits in the metal. If the bore looks like a sewer pipe, try cleaning, and see what is in there. Good barrel, it could be a fun project.

The wood is something any woodworker could do as a home project- but stay away from sandpaper.

And here is some info on care, feeding and operation of Mausers: Collecting and Shooting the German Mauser 98k (Karabiner 98k) - HISTORY

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #3

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Sarco has complete correct bolts in stock.
Mauser Rifle Parts

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.