Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Marlin XL7 vs Mossberg ATR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Marlin XL7 vs Mossberg ATR

I've got one of the early Mossberg ATRs in 30-06 and my only complaint about it is that the trigger sucks. A drop in trigger costs almost as much as what I paid for the rifle so I'm not really interested in doing that. Other then that it's been a good rifle. I've recently had the chance to trade some things around and while I would lose my ATR but I would pick up a Mossberg 500 with a slug barrel and a Marlin XL7 in 30-06.
My question to you guys is how do you think the Marlin compares to the Mossberg? Please keep in mind that my rifle is roughly 5 years old(I got it about 6 months after they were released) and the Marlin is NIB.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 240 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 55

In terms of value, I think you'd be doing pretty well in a deal like that. The Marlin runs around $300 as does the Mossberg 500. Last Mossberg 4x4 I say, was just a bit under $500. I've handled the Marlins at the gun store and they seem nice. More in line with Savage's Edge/Axis series though. The Mossbergs seem a bit heavier with longer barrel and a little nicer look/finish.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had a Marlin XL7 in .270 and it shot great. I'd MUCH rather have the Marlin. The trigger on the Marlin is almost an exact duplicate of the Savage Accutrigger. In fact I'm thinking about buying another Marlin to use as a beater/loaner. It also comes with a scope base included.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The fit and finish on my Mossberg is nothing to write home about. IMO, it's ugly but it fits me well and shoots well. I think I'm going to make the trade.
I've always wanted a slug gun to play with and with a 500 I could convert it into a number of uses. Only drawback to it is that it's a 5rd tube, I would have liked 8.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I believe I WOULD do that trade!!

Old 05-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

The Mossberg is OK for the price. The Marlin is amazing for the price. Do it.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #7

I have both rifles a Marlin in 308 and Mossberg in 30-06. Either rifle will shoot less than 1 1/2 moa if I do my part. However the Marlin is my favorite and may shoot just a little better. The trade offered should be a no brainer, take it.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I'd do the trade, Spitty.

And I prefer the 5rd tubes to the 8rd. When they are full, the 8rd tube affects the pointability. Too much weight up front for me.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-22-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've got both guns lined up so now it's just working out the details of meeting with the two guys to finalize everything.

M14, I never had an issue with the 8rd mag. My dad has one and I've shot clays with it, hunted with it, just messed around with it and didn't notice any difference in pointability. He doesn't want to sell it to me though....

Old 05-22-2011, 03:33 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I've got both guns lined up so now it's just working out the details of meeting with the two guys to finalize everything.

M14, I never had an issue with the 8rd mag. My dad has one and I've shot clays with it, hunted with it, just messed around with it and didn't notice any difference in pointability. He doesn't want to sell it to me though....
The only issue I have with the 8rd tubes is in the swing. I grew up using an 870 for almost everything and it got shot a lot. For a couple of years it had 500rds a week through it. So I ended up putting an extended mag tube on it and noticed that it no longer pointed the same. The swing is off, and shotguns are a very intuitive type of shooting, so every little bit makes a dif. YMMV.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."