Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Marlin XL7 v. XS7 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/marlin-xl7-v-xs7-29517/)

V3ritas_A3quitas 07-20-2010 06:59 PM

Marlin XL7 v. XS7

The only major difference is the short v long action correct, and this mainly concerns the differences in ammo?

Definitely thinking about getting one in .308 which would be the Marlin XS7.

Anyone shot/owned one? Do you recommend it?

Looking towards the future for my next gun, a bolt action.

stalkingbear 07-20-2010 08:34 PM

I had an XL-7 in .270 and was extremely impressed with it. It shot as good as rifles costing 2-3 times what it cost. The only reason I don't still have it is because I gave it to a close friend. I'm going to buy a XS-7 in 7mm08 as soon as I can afford it. I have an elk hunt to pay for 1st.

chessycreek 07-22-2010 05:07 PM

I have a XS-7 in 7mm08 and find it more accurate than my daughter's Savage in the same caliber. Last year my long shot was 225 yards on a 140 pound doe. One shot through both sholders.

big shrek 07-22-2010 07:46 PM

I prefer the XL7/.30-06, but I'm also a pretty big & strong fella who can take the abuse of the recoil.
The factory recoil pad puts it down to about the same as a Marlin 336 .30-30 with an old brown recoil pad from the 50's.
At least, that's how it feels to me!! ;)

Since we have Black Bear in the South, it's a handy caliber to have.

Angry_bald_guy 07-23-2010 07:13 AM

I'm looking at getting an XS7 .308 and was wondering if there's anything you all can tell me about it. This will be my first rifle and I may do some hunting with it. Is there anything specific that I need to watch out for with this rifle and are there any others in the $300 price range that are better?

Fleetman 07-24-2010 01:42 AM

I have the XL7, .25-06 and love it...I would like a X7 in .308 though and I think you'll be very happy with it. I have "better" rifles but would be hard-pressed to say any of them shoot better than my Marlin.

big shrek 07-24-2010 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy (Post 319148)
I'm looking at getting an XS7 .308 and was wondering if there's anything you all can tell me about it. This will be my first rifle and I may do some hunting with it. Is there anything specific that I need to watch out for with this rifle and are there any others in the $300 price range that are better?

In that price range...nothing even comes close.

The only thing you'll do is burn thru a few boxes of different types of ammo to see which your particular rifle shoots best.

Keep a Log Book, and notate how they all act, paying particular attention to the Cold Bore Zero.
(Where the first shot on a cold barrel goes)
First shot of the day at a critter is usually Cold Bore...sometimes very cold bore in Northen Areas;)

Angry_bald_guy 07-24-2010 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big shrek (Post 319618)
In that price range...nothing even comes close.

The only thing you'll do is burn thru a few boxes of different types of ammo to see which your particular rifle shoots best.

Keep a Log Book, and notate how they all act, paying particular attention to the Cold Bore Zero.
(Where the first shot on a cold barrel goes)
First shot of the day at a critter is usually Cold Bore...sometimes very cold bore in Northen Areas;)

Yeah, I'm looking at one for deer season and the farm I'm planning on hunting on gets down around 25 in the early morning hours...

So other than breaking it in with rounds, is there any setup that I should take it to a gunsmith for or is it pretty much good to go?

big shrek 07-24-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy (Post 319619)
Yeah, I'm looking at one for deer season and the farm I'm planning on hunting on gets down around 25 in the early morning hours...

So other than breaking it in with rounds, is there any setup that I should take it to a gunsmith for or is it pretty much good to go?

Not a thing...it already has an adjustable trigger...
and its Pillar Bedded at the Factory...
and it already has a pretty nice Soft-Tech Recoil Pad...
comes with scope mount...
Fluted bolt looks nice :)

If you can attach a Sling & Scope & set it all by yourself...not really anything else needed.

Well...maybe a Bipod, but that's another easy installation :)

poncaguy 08-09-2010 01:39 AM

Check out a Savage Edge too..........I think a little better......except for the trigger. You can;t go wrong with either............