Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Marlin XL7 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/marlin-xl7-57264/)

cottontop 02-08-2012 05:25 AM

Marlin XL7
 
Thinking about getting the Marlin X7 in .25-06. I need some kind of .25 (.257) caliber to fill the gap between my .244 and my 7x57 (.284). At least that is as good an excuse as any to buy a new rifle. The .250 Savage and the .257 Roberts are hard to find, and when you do find one, they are usually pretty expensive, and the .257 Weatherby has just too much power for me. I am really not crazy about synthetic stocks, but I have read a lot of good things about the accuracy, quality price of these Marlins. Plus, I believe they are all American made, at least that is what I read.
Boyds sells a completely finished drop in wood stock for this model for around $100. One could always get the wood stock at a later date if he got tired of the synthetic.
I tried the search function and when I typed in Marlin, hundreds of posts came up, but I could not find much on the XL7.
Anyone have this model? How do you like it? Is the quality good for the price range? Anyone replace the stock w/ a Boyds (or other make)?
cottontop

hardluk1 02-08-2012 03:50 PM

Low cost. Seems to sell and work well and there are more than a few reviews if you google it. Guess the 25-06 is your choice with the marlin. . But if you want that 257 roberts.-http://www.montanarifleco.com/custom.rifles.html#AmericanStandardRifle

dks7895 02-08-2012 04:20 PM

I love my Marlin XS7 in 308. BTW, XS7 is short action and XL7 is long action. The 25-06 is a great cartridge. It all depends on what you want it to do. Price and availability of ammo is always a concern of mine. The Marlin X7 line is a great choice.

cottontop 02-09-2012 12:44 AM

Marlin
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dks7895 (Post 702792)
I love my Marlin XS7 in 308. BTW, XS7 is short action and XL7 is long action. The 25-06 is a great cartridge. It all depends on what you want it to do. Price and availability of ammo is always a concern of mine. The Marlin X7 line is a great choice.


Thanks for the info. The price and availability of .25-06 ammo doesn't really bother me as I will reload for it anyway. Cases are easy to make from .270 or 30-06 brass. Slow burning powders are readily available, as well as 25 caliber bullets. You convinced me. I see a Marlin XL7 .25-06 in my near future.
cottontop

Marlinman 02-09-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop

Thanks for the info. The price and availability of .25-06 ammo doesn't really bother me as I will reload for it anyway. Cases are easy to make from .270 or 30-06 brass. Slow burning powders are readily available, as well as 25 caliber bullets. You convinced me. I see a Marlin XL7 .25-06 in my near future.
cottontop

I have one in every caliber made in them now including one not on the market yet. They are cheap, well made, very dependable and accurate weapons. I havent changed my stocks yet but i think they would work just as well in wood as in synthetic

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

huffmanite 02-09-2012 01:57 AM

Have a couple of Stevens 200s, a Savage Edge/Axis and one each of the Marlin XL/XS rifles. All are fairly accurate rifles, but think my Marlins to be slightly more accurate. Consider my Marlins a better rifle right out of the box, since it has a much better trigger that is adjustable. Prefer the safety on my Marlins more and while no big thing, Marlin bolt removal is easier too.

Marlinman 02-09-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huffmanite
Have a couple of Stevens 200s, a Savage Edge/Axis and one each of the Marlin XL/XS rifles. All are fairly accurate rifles, but think my Marlins to be slightly more accurate. Consider my Marlins a better rifle right out of the box, since it has a much better trigger that is adjustable. Prefer the safety on my Marlins more and while no big thing, Marlin bolt removal is easier too.

Marlins can be alot more accurate than the edge/axxis. Mainly bc of the trigger and the stock differences.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

theropinfool 02-09-2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman

Marlins can be alot more accurate than the edge/axxis. Mainly bc of the trigger and the stock differences.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

I've always shyed from the barrel nut concept. What's your take.

Marlinman 02-09-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theropinfool

I've always shyed from the barrel nut concept. What's your take.

I like it. Its a good idea and very sturdy platform if done properly. Its how i made my 7.82 barrels interchangable. I used my mentors patent of a two twist lock nut. Only problem i have w lock nuts is the savages ridges on the outside.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

big shrek 02-09-2012 08:30 AM

The X-7 series comes pillar-bedded from the factory, along with a factory-installed recoil pad...and an adjustable target trigger.
Bloody amazing they only cost $299 for the basic model...

I truly LOVE Boyd's Stocks...if I had more cash, every Marlin rifle I own except two would wear 'em!
Always, Always, Always bed a new stock to your action, pillar in the least, full bed at most.
Reason being, it just helps 'em perform better with your action screws are at the same torque every time.
no up/down variation...and if you do it right, no side-to-side, either :D


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.