Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Marlin x7 vs. Remington model 700 sps (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/marlin-x7-vs-remington-model-700-sps-52136/)

fatmidgets 11-20-2011 12:02 PM

Marlin x7 vs. Remington model 700 sps

I've been hearing a TON of good things about the Marlin, and of course the Remington is always talked about. Which one do you think is better overall?

spittinfire 11-20-2011 12:25 PM

My voice would go towards to the Marlin.

what caliber are you looking at?

fatmidgets 11-20-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire
My voice would go towards to the Marlin.

what caliber are you looking at?

.243 winchester

spittinfire 11-20-2011 12:47 PM

OK, I'm still going with the Marlin.

fatmidgets 11-20-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire
OK, I'm still going with the Marlin.

How come the marlin over the remmy?

greenriver 11-20-2011 04:08 PM

I have a Remington SPS in 22-250, the Marlins I have seen will out shoot it :(. I wish the Marlins had a magizine floor plate or a box mag I would send my Rem down the road.

fatmidgets 11-20-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenriver
I have a Remington SPS in 22-250, the Marlins I have seen will out shoot it :(. I wish the Marlins had a magizine floor plate or a box mag I would send my Rem down the road.

Was it the marlin x7vh? Because those have a 26" heavy barrel.

greenriver 11-20-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmidgets (Post 632177)

No they were both .243 with standard barrels.

Axxe55 11-20-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmidgets (Post 632177)

right now the X7VH is only offered in 22-250 and 308.

right now remington has some edge over the marlin's with selection of options and calibers. the remington M700 rifle series is still an excellent rifle platform. but IMO, the marlin is gaining momentum because, money is tighter and the buying power of the dollar has dropped. one thing i would like to see in the X7 series, wood stock option. i have heard about a wood stocked version, but haven't been able to locate any, so i don't know if they really even exist. i would also like to see a hinged floor plate option on the X7 also, like a remington BDL vs. ADL. i own remington M700's and marlin X7's and would never get rid of either of them. both have their advantages, marlin X7, accurate, decently priced, well made, disadvantages lack of trim level options and caliber selections. remington M700 advantages, accurate, well made, lots of different trim level options and caliber options, plus custom options available, disadvantages, higher priced. these are just my thoughts on this.

fatmidgets 11-20-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55

right now the X7VH is only offered in 22-250 and 308.

right now remington has some edge over the marlin's with selection of options and calibers. the remington M700 rifle series is still an excellent rifle platform. but IMO, the marlin is gaining momentum because, money is tighter and the buying power of the dollar has dropped. one thing i would like to see in the X7 series, wood stock option. i have heard about a wood stocked version, but haven't been able to locate any, so i don't know if they really even exist. i would also like to see a hinged floor plate option on the X7 also, like a remington BDL vs. ADL. i own remington M700's and marlin X7's and would never get rid of either of them. both have their advantages, marlin X7, accurate, decently priced, well made, disadvantages lack of trim level options and caliber selections. remington M700 advantages, accurate, well made, lots of different trim level options and caliber options, plus custom options available, disadvantages, higher priced. these are just my thoughts on this.

I really like the bolt on the remington. Is there any purpose behind its flatter shape, or is it purely asthetic?