Marlin Model 1895 .45-70
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Marlin Model 1895 .45-70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Marlin Model 1895 .45-70

I just won a Marlin Model 1895 .45-70 today from an auction for $280. I am super excited because I have wanted a lever action rifle for some time now. I do not know anything about this caliper and was warned about finding the right grain for my rifle. Does anyone own one of these rifle and have a recommendation on which grain works most efficiently?

image-6676117.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 AM   #2

Liked 366 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by themarsfloyd View Post
I just won a Marlin Model 1895 .45-70 today from an auction for $280. I am super excited because I have wanted a lever action rifle for some time now. I do not know anything about this caliper and was warned about finding the right grain for my rifle. Does anyone own one of these rifle and have a recommendation on which grain works most efficiently?

Attachment 86424
300 grain barnes should work fine. I have not owned this particular gun but they look pretty nice! Sounds like a good deal for a lever action. It seems to have a pretty strong action so anything in that range should be fine. Just be careful on the grain.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx

300 grain barnes should work fine. I have not owned this particular gun but they look pretty nice! Sounds like a good deal for a lever action. It seems to have a pretty strong action so anything in that range should be fine. Just be careful on the grain.
I did read one place online this would work but I wanted to hear from more than one person. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:04 AM   #4

Liked 366 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
I did read one place online this would work but I wanted to hear from more than one person. Thanks.
You're welcome! It's good to get more than one opinion. Firearms are a serious thing and once you start playing around with ammo, it can get dangerous. Best place to go is a gunshop/smith or call marlin.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anything 250 to 500. Just remember, the heavier the bullet, the heavier the recoil. Do a little experimentation to find the best load for your application. Go light for deer, up to 350. Save the heavier stuff for moose, bear and elephant.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Thats a smoking deal for one.

I use 405 grain hardcast lead. Very very accurate bullet. 300-350 grain bullets arent great out of my marlin 1895gbl. Worst ones are the hornady leverevolution bullets the cases are too short which makes the jump to the lands waaaaaaay to far for any decent accuracy. I consider the leverevolution bullets defective due to the excessively short cases

The newer marlins with rep stamp on the barrel are cut with the old marlin style ballard rifling and original twist rates design to run 405 lead bullets. Much improved over the last 20 years of the jm stamped button rifling.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-20-2013 at 03:32 AM.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

You stole that rifle.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Thats a smoking deal for one.

I use 405 grain hardcast lead. Very very accurate bullet. 300-350 grain bullets arent great out of my marlin 1895gbl. Worst ones are the hornady leverevolution bullets the cases are too short which makes the jump to the lands waaaaaaay to far for any decent accuracy. I consider the leverevolution bullets defective due to the excessively short cases

The newer marlins with rep stamp on the barrel are cut with the old marlin style ballard rifling and original twist rates design to run 405 lead bullets. Much improved over the last 20 years of the jm stamped button rifling.
Great to know. I got a great deal since it was a benefit for a local church. They aren't great because accuracy or other reasons?

Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357
You stole that rifle.
Tell me about it
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Great to know. I got a great deal since it was a benefit for a local church. They aren't great because accuracy or other reasons?
The hornady ammo is crap for em as is most factory ammo. All shelf ammo is so under powered its just not going fast enough to get decent accuracy. I consider it junk because your paying premium price for plinking ammo you could make yourself for a frqction they are charging for

They do that cuz there are a LOT of old turn of the century guns that can only handle black powder pressure loadings.

Your marlin is very very strong and can take actual pressures that make the 45-70 a monster. Not on ruger single shot level but high end of the standard loadings.

My 1895 using 405 handloads is right at 1" to 1.5" scoped and 2" to 3" open sights accuracy at 100yards.

To get the most out of your new toy you need to load for it. Factory ammo is pretty pathetic for these guns.

On the upside the 45-70 is probably the single most versatile round ever devised by man. It can be loaded to very mild loadings safely using trailboss powder for very pleasent plinking with light 250-350 grain bullets suitable for targets or deer. Or loaded up to elephant stopping power with max charges under 400grain jacketed softpoints and everything in between. It can also be used with blackpowder and really go old school.

Its probably my favorite cartridge due to the simply enourmous selection of .458 bullets available. If your not a reloader owning that rifle is the perfect reason to start.

Its a super super easy cartridge to load for. Even the max loads arent all that high pressure and your never going to wear a casing out.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-20-2013 at 04:15 AM.