Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Marlin closing doors???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_fan View Post
I thoroughly appreciate this string. I have owned a Ruger 357 for two years, which is the sum total of my shooting experience. During that time, I have read a great deal about cowboy lever action carbines and without reservation I admit it became obsession. I scoured the internet and Bay Area gun dealers for inventory for a 357 CSS to match my primary home defense tool, with zero luck until now. Last week I located one and Saturday made my purchase. (I am in my "cooling off" period, but getting more excited to take possession and start enjoying it.)

I had picked up the rumor mill described in this string and elsewhere, and couldn't believe that with so much demand out there a company could practice sales prevention so skillfully. I now understand the likely dynamics a bit better.

I also found a site that reveals your Marlin's manufacture date by entering two digits of the serial number. Mine showed up as a 1985! I am still happy to have it but not sure what this means. I assume the dealer either has sat on stock for quite some time purchased long ago in bulk and releases one or two each quarter. Or they themselves purchased an older lot more recently. Any other ideas are welcome and of course speculative only. I am also interested in thoughts about what an 85 manufacture date implies about quality and composition. I think it means that it's microgrooved barrel but do not know if there have been other changes. It does sound like quality could in fact be better than if it was more recent? Thanks for any replies.
Could you Please share the link miles_fan?

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic.

I hope that Marlin is indeed moving to Ilion NY instead of china which doesn't even deserve a "Capital C" in my opinion.

OC

"magbum"

Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

OC357, the link I found which I now question after a couple offline messages from members is http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

It does say all Marlins from 1969-1990 which then shows my new purchase at 1985. But others have told me the system changed a couple times after 1990. So I'm unclear if there's a conclusive way to identify manufacture date for more recent pieces.