Marlin closing doors??? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Marlin closing doors???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Are Marlin/Remington The New 1970′s Harley-Davidson? | The Truth About Guns

I read this after finding it on another forum where the OP said that Freedom Arms announced today that they are eliminating the Marlin line due to poor quality control. Ironically they were the cause of the poor QC due to their closing the original North Haven plant and laying off all of the workers there. Nothing like telling your employees they are worthless and your loyal customers that their loyalty is worth even less.

I don't know if the new rumor is true. Anybody else heard anything that can be substantiated?
There has been no announcement about closing Marlin. The only announcement was from a year ago about closing the CT plant. As far as I know Marlin is doing just fine and happily introducing new models. The article you are linking to is from a site that has absolutely no credible writers or industry insiders. Freedom Arms has nothing to do with Remington and Marlin, that woudl be the Freedom Group.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8950 Times on 5199 Posts
Likes Given: 11764

My bad. Freedom Group. Shame on me. (Sorry, Freedom Arms! I didn't mean to do it.)

I just provided the link swiped from the other forum after having read it, I have no knowledge of the writers credibility nor their access to inside industry information. I think this is clear in my original post. I also think it is clear that I do not know if the rumor is true or not and was asking if anybody could substantiate it.

On the other hand there have been widespread complaints about Marlin rifles since they closed the New Haven plant and fired all of the staff. Many of those complaints have come from people who have long been dedicated Marlin owners. I do own several, but all of them are many years old so I am not one of that group. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think it is a tragedy what has happened to Marlin and it would be magnified if Freedom Group fails to address these QC problems.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #23

Marlin is not the only company in the north east sector of the country that plan to move.My brother showed me an article a few months ago where alot of companies in the area are tired of anti gun politicians and planed to pull up stakes and move.I can't verify it.But marlin is as someone else stated supposed to be moving to north carolina..

Old 08-15-2011, 04:41 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Damn that stinks..a marlin was the first 22 i ever shot, probably the same for many people. this seems to be the same for many classic American products, buy up the name gut the company and produce the bare minimum piece of crap that will still function..that is why schwinn bikes can be bought at walmart now, they are cheap and made overseas

so sad

Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 529

Can you blame a company from moving away from pepole who hate them and there products? Let them move some place firearm frieadly, maybe the libiral states will lighten up after they start losing jobs and money. Still sad for the workers though.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 08-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
Can you blame a company from moving away from pepole who hate them and there products? Let them move some place firearm frieadly, maybe the libiral states will lighten up after they start losing jobs and money. Still sad for the workers though.
If that was how it happened I would agree, but it is not. What did happen was "In December 2007 Remington Arms Company purchased Marlin.[6] Remington announced in April 2008 that it would close the Gardner manufacturing plant by the end of 2008 affecting 200 workers.[7] In March 2010, Marlin announced that it would close its North Haven plant, and move the work to Remington plants in Ilion, New York, and Mayfield, Kentucky" ( I quoted Wikepedia Marlin Firearms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia here out of laziness)

Remington had been purchased by Cerebus earlier in 2007, the same year that they bought Marlin. Roughly two and a half years later Cerebus/Freedom Group closed the New Haven facility. There is no indication that the local climate (political or otherwise) had anything to do with the closure. Indeed, all of the New Haven employees were laid off. The decision was one made by an "investment group" that had nothing to do with the product or the people who worked there. It was strictly a cost-cutting measure made by a known corporate raider (with a suspected anti-gun attitude.) The way I understand it these corporate raiders don't mix their politics with their overwhelming appetite for greed, so the suspected anti-gun attitude probably did not make a bit of difference. They take an established company with some substantial debt and a strong and loyal customer base (Marlin), buy it up lock, stock and barrel, cut the company to ribbons in the name of cutting costs and in order to pay down the debt, then sell off the company name and the assets (separately) at enormous profits. It has been done for many years like this in many different industries. It is all about $$$$$$$$$$$ and has nothing to do with the customer or the product.

More often than not the original company ceases to exist in any recognizable form, if it does at all beyond the name. I would hate to see this happen with Marlin. I would like to see the Marlin arm spun off and sold then reborn in its original form perhaps in Montana or somewhere else, but that is unlikely.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #27

Quote:
If that was how it happened I would agree, but it is not. What did happen was "In December 2007 Remington Arms Company purchased Marlin.[6] Remington announced in April 2008 that it would close the Gardner manufacturing plant by the end of 2008 affecting 200 workers.[7] In March 2010, Marlin announced that it would close its North Haven plant, and move the work to Remington plants in Ilion, New York, and Mayfield, Kentucky" ( I quoted Wikepedia Marlin Firearms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia here out of laziness)

Remington had been purchased by Cerebus earlier in 2007, the same year that they bought Marlin. Roughly two and a half years later Cerebus/Freedom Group closed the New Haven facility. There is no indication that the local climate (political or otherwise) had anything to do with the closure. Indeed, all of the New Haven employees were laid off. The decision was one made by an "investment group" that had nothing to do with the product or the people who worked there. It was strictly a cost-cutting measure made by a known corporate raider (with a suspected anti-gun attitude.) The way I understand it these corporate raiders don't mix their politics with their overwhelming appetite for greed, so the suspected anti-gun attitude probably did not make a bit of difference. They take an established company with some substantial debt and a strong and loyal customer base (Marlin), buy it up lock, stock and barrel, cut the company to ribbons in the name of cutting costs and in order to pay down the debt, then sell off the company name and the assets (separately) at enormous profits. It has been done for many years like this in many different industries. It is all about $$$$$$$$$$$ and has nothing to do with the customer or the product.

More often than not the original company ceases to exist in any recognizable form, if it does at all beyond the name. I would hate to see this happen with Marlin. I would like to see the Marlin arm spun off and sold then reborn in its original form perhaps in Montana or somewhere else, but that is unlikely.
Creberus is an American owned investment company (Based out of New York)that is run by a group of strong conservative capitalists. Their CEO of the investment division is Dan Quayle who, contrary to popular perception as sold by the media, is a brillinat guy. The company is provately held and the owner/founder, a conservative sportsman has said in the very few interviews that he has granted that he regrets the name he picked for the company because of it's somewhat dark image and he did not anticipate when he named the venture the success and publicity they would get.

Cerberus through the Freedon Group, has done more to modernize the gun industry in the USA in the last 5 years than anyone in the last 100. Comapnies like Marlin and others were in debt and have been run by a group of incompetent good ol' boys for a long time. They now have modern manufacturing, R/D and a full marketing staff working with them. They are now putting out new versions of their classics that actually have an appeal to wider audience and exciting new products like bolt action rifles that are being well received. The alternative would have been them going out of business in a few short years.

As far as the New Haven situation that factory was in serious need of updating and the Freedom Group did try to gain some concessions from the state government and the unions that had choked Marlin for years. When they got neither they decided that it was not cost effective to continue making Marlin Rifles at that plant and then decided to move the operation to a better, modern, friendlier location. Many of the employees were offered relocation but elected not to take it because of their Union ties.

Last edited by Wambli; 08-16-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Creberus is an American owned investment company (Based out of New York)that is run by a group of strong conservative capitalists. Their CEO of the investment division is Dan Quayle who, contrary to popular perception as sold by the media, is a brillinat guy. The company is provately held and the owner/founder, a conservative sportsman has said in the very few interviews that he has granted that he regrets the name he picked for the company because of it's somewhat dark image and he did not anticipate when he named the venture the success and publicity they would get.

Cerberus through the Freedon Group, has done more to modernize the gun industry in the USA in the last 5 years than anyone in the last 100. Comapnies like Marlin and others were in debt and have been run by a group of incompetent good ol' boys for a long time. They now have modern manufacturing, R/D and a full marketing staff working with them. They are now putting out new versions of their classics that actually have an appeal to wider audience and exciting new products like bolt action rifles that are being well received. The alternative would have been them going out of business in a few short years.

As far as the New Haven situation that factory was in serious need of updating and the Freedom Group did try to gain some concessions from the state government and the unions that had choked Marlin for years. When they got neither they decided that it was not cost effective to continue making Marlin Rifles at that plant and then decided to move the operation to a better, modern, friendlier location. Many of the employees were offered relocation but elected not to take it because of their Union ties.
Hmm. I hadn't heard that take on it. It looks like I'll need to do more research. Could you do me the favor of citing some documentation that supports this? After reading my post I must admit that I do not have any documentation to back up my statements so I must retract them in whole as they are based on heresay not facts.

Much appreciated Wambli (PS, what is the meaning behind your user name "Wambli"? Mine I think is fairly obvious..)

Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Hmm. I hadn't heard that take on it. It looks like I'll need to do more research. Could you do me the favor of citing some documentation that supports this? After reading my post I must admit that I do not have any documentation to back up my statements so I must retract them in whole as they are based on heresay not facts.

Much appreciated Wambli (PS, what is the meaning behind your user name "Wambli"? Mine I think is fairly obvious..)
Absolutely, glad to help. Favorite hobby of mine is killing internet rumors, specially the gun related ones. For a change Wikipedia actually has some accurate info on Cerberus. Notice the current CEO is George Bush's Treasury Secretary.
Cerberus Capital Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is an article that has some insight into the life of Cerberu's Founder and Chief Stephen Feinberg and how the company operates:
Cerberus: Inside the Wall Street power-house - Aug. 5, 2007

To understand the firm, one must understand Feinberg. "Everything runs through him, full stop," says a lawyer who has worked with Cerberus on several deals. "Cerberus is Steve Feinberg." No one interviewed for this story could imagine a successor.

Unlike such private equity czars as KKR's Henry Kravis or Blackstone's Steve Schwarzman, Feinberg is an anti-celebrity, man-of-the-people guy who just happens to be a centimillionaire. The 47-year-old son of a steel salesman from Spring Valley, N.Y., he lives in a Manhattan apartment that is modest by Master-of-the-Universe standards and an even more modest house in Stamford, Conn. He drives a Dodge pickup, loves guns and motorcycles, and wears off-the-rack suits.

The truth is that Cerberus has saved many poorly run American companies from floundering, Marlin and Chrysler amongst them. The alternative is them going to foreign investors like Winchester did when FN picked them up for pennies on the dollar...

Old 08-17-2011, 05:35 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 529

Wow lots of info here!! I am learning alot. I just want them to stay in business

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington