Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Marlin closing doors???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

As others have said, sad news.

Ironically, earlier today I ordered a Marlin 39A that I've been wanting for a while.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 04-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #12

It will be sad news if it does fold, but I can't imagine that at this stage, they pretty much have the rifle calibre lever rifle game to themselves at the moment (apart from what appears to be a not so successful attempt by Mossberg to enter the market and a new rifle from Rossi). You'd think if they couldn't make a go of it under those circumstances, they never would.

Marlins aren't cheap out here, they are as dear or dearer than most yankee bolt guns (as dear as two marlin bolt rifles and about 200-300 dollars dearer than a Ruger and a tad cheaper than the new Win Mod70). They still seem to sell ok here, probably because there is no competition.

Everyday, a brand disappears, a lolly gets smaller, a product gets tinnier, a whole bunch of workers get screwed. It sucks, but it seems to be the way of things now, which is a shame. I don't know how (or if) they get worker loyalty under these circumstances. Business now seem to regard workers as a resourse that you buy when you need it and shed immediately you are done. Like boring Bob said, 'strange days indeed!'

Old 04-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #13

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Marlin is not going away. They are closing their plant and moving manufacturing to North Carolina. Just another gun company that is fed up with the unions choking them to death and the corrupt anti-gun government of Connecticut.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:51 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
Marlin is not going away. They are closing their plant and moving manufacturing to North Carolina. Just another gun company that is fed up with the unions choking them to death and the corrupt anti-gun government of Connecticut.
They're coming to my state??!?!?! I see a new job!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post

I heard they are going to utilize the old Remington Ilion facilities but that doesn't seem likely since Remington bailed from there to NC because of high labor costs. The local gubmint in Utica is lobbying hard to to get them to come there with all kinds of free gubmint money, but once bitten twice shy. They'd do well to steer clear like Wambli said of the unions and corrupt gubmint.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:19 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Man I hope not!

I sure hope that Marlin keeps going. I've owned several over the years and loved them all. The XL7 that I have written about that Neil built up for me is simply an outstanding rifle, at any price.

Not to mention I will have to pay a premium for another 450!

Sua Sponte!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #17

I can't imagine them stopping production, they pretty much have the rifle calibre lever rifle market to themselves and the 1894 is a popular rifle as well. Their bolt gun just walks out the door here.

They must be just making arrangements to improve their bottom line. I don't know if it is correct, but I have been led to believe that the workforce is very militant and the local Govt not very supportive. A move to another state means some handouts from the govt to encourage the move and the chance for a clean sweep and a fresh start with the labour force.

I have never been much of a Marlin affondicio, but have used Marlins in 45/70 for a long time as they were all that was available, and i just love punkin rollers. Lately I have been gettign into marlins a bit more as my eyesight deteriorates, the marlins allow me to mount a scope for use in heavy close and often dark forests. I have trimmed back a bit recently, but now have a 1975 built 336 in 30/30 and recent production 444 and a 44mag 1894, a finally an unfired 1895 Cowboy. I would like a 25/20, a 32/20 and a 38/55, but unless I trip over a good deal, I'm not going out of my way to get them as I have the smaller calibres covered in Win 92s and a Savage 23 in 32/20.

I also fancy one of those 338Marlins!

I reckon they will be back and it will be interesting to see what they are like. Hopefully they will be better quality or cheaper (as they are getting real expensive here), or both.

I'm thinking I'd better get one of those bolt guns justtttttttttttttt in case! They have a nice camo 243 down the road, hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Always sad to see old companies and factorys close, but we are as much a part of the problem as anything else, we want everything cheap! If you turn the screw in far enough, it ends up screwed!

Last edited by 4fingermick; 04-08-2010 at 11:27 AM.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7396 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 9511

Default Marlin Closing Update

Are Marlin/Remington The New 1970′s Harley-Davidson? | The Truth About Guns

I read this after finding it on another forum where the OP said that Freedom Arms announced today that they are eliminating the Marlin line due to poor quality control. Ironically they were the cause of the poor QC due to their closing the original North Haven plant and laying off all of the workers there. Nothing like telling your employees they are worthless and your loyal customers that their loyalty is worth even less.

I don't know if the new rumor is true. Anybody else heard anything that can be substantiated?

Old 08-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #19

Liked 2203 Times on 1265 Posts
Likes Given: 1791

Wow. Bummer! My favorite rifle is my 1894 Marlin. The Black Walnut

stock looks like a million bucks. It's a great little truck gun.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7396 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 9511

It could just be another nasty Internet rumor. I went to their FB page and there were two posts I saw that applied. One said that Freedom had announced they were shutting down production to address poor QC issues. No word on how long they thought that might take (how long does it take to move your production back to New Haven and rehire all of the people they pissed off and making restitution for wrongful termination? Could take awhile.) and the other guy just posted a quick "I hearing (sic) you guys are shutting down production?" and that was all.

Marlin has not answered the posts (this being a Sunday and all) but I will keep my eyes peeled.