Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Marlin closing doors???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Marlin closing doors???

Has anyone else heard the scuttlebutt that Marlin is going to close or relocate next year? I've heard it from 2 different sources but don't want to believe it. It'll be a sad day indeed if they really do close their doors. I heard the company that owns Remington, Marlin, DPMS, and 1 or 2 others is putting Marlin on the chopping block. Even if they relocate them the majority of workers will still lose their jobs.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Looks like it's partially true Bear, Remington owns Marlin after they agreed to buy them in 2007/2008. They are all owned by Cerebus Capital Management, which is nothing but an investment house.

Here is a very recent link:

Marlin Firearms Co. To Close North Haven Plant - Hartford Courant

Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I have not heard anything. I think they also own H&R and NEF. That would suck if they moved into China or Mexico. I will keep my eyes and ears open.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Bad news.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cerberus formed Freedom Group as a "roll up" for collecting some major firearms brands into a single corporate entity to give it mass and volume. The intent is take Freedom public with an initial public offering (IPO) sometime in the not-so-distant future so Cerebrus can make a mint from the stock sale. That's how corporate capitalism works. In the meantime, Freedom will "eliminate redundancies, streamline and 'right size'" to shed overhead (meaning people and facilities) to fatten the bottom line to make the sale more attractive to potential buyers of the stock. As all of this will be managed by finance people who couldn't care less one way or another what the product is (it could be firearms, autos, widgets, etc.), primary attention will be paid to cost efficiencies, not necessarily product differentiation or quality. I'll not be surprised if -- and when -- one of Freedom's factories produces all bolt rifles; another, all shotguns; move all AR-style to one place; or even if they decide to outsource everything offshore. The brands will stay alive (at least long enough for Cerberus to get its money out) but I expect the products will lose their character and, eventually, their history.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That is truely sad for a number of reasons. I hate to see more people losing their jobs and Marlin make a great affordable rifle. I hope the move doesn't happen but if it does I hope their quality doesn't drop too.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The fact that they're going to lay off all 265 employees don't speak well for the quality after they move. Those people are the 1s that know those rifles inside out. What's going to happen when they get all new people to build them? They won't have a clue except what's on paper.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #8

I haven't heard closing the doors, but have heard of selling it off. That what happens when investment groups own several companies. All they see is numbers and if the numbers aren't good they sell. I don't know how well Marlin is doing. Cerberus Capital Management has their hands into a lot of things; sporting goods, firearms, transportation, etc.They have lost a lot because of the governments dealings about bailing out The Chrysler Corp. They're having to regain losses. Hopefully they will just sell Marlin to another U.S. Company and Marlin will be able to continue on.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #9

Liked 125 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 213

I'm not liking the sounds of that, besides the fact I dont even have a marlin yet...

quite honestly, one reason i enjoyed getting back into firearms was because it was a lot easier to buy american made products, and get the quality you paid for....

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 04-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #10

Dillenger is correct. There are not many owned by the USA companies left any longer, who deal in firearms and firearms related items. I do think that someone besides the front companies, will turn out to be a untimate owner.
I can recall few decades back when farm equipment such as IH was taken over by Tenneco, who turned out to be a foreign holder. Internation Harvester, and I think Case are no longer anything but history!