Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Marlin 336SC (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/marlin-336sc-94789/)

Whiplash1940 08-01-2013 05:45 AM

Marlin 336SC

2 Attachment(s)
So, new to this site and recently acquired a firearm I need some good pointers on. It is a 1953 marlin 336SC. I got it from my wife's grandmother as a result of my wife's grandfathers passing. It is to be my first total restoration product but not to sure of where to purchase parts for the firearm. Any suggestions, pointers, input of any sorts welcome!

JW357 08-01-2013 05:49 AM

Welcome to the site. Be sure to stop by the introductions thread to tell us a little bit about yourself. :)

Sorry, I don't know much about the Marlin. Good luck with the project though. It should be fun!

Whiplash1940 08-01-2013 05:54 AM

Thank you! Its all good but appreciate the welcome. And yes very much looking forward to this project :)

SSGN_Doc 08-01-2013 06:57 AM

Numrich or Gun Parts Corp. is where I'd start looking for parts. Be careful restoring it. Often people reduce value when they think they are restoring older rifles. As a family heirloom though, the value may be higher as a sentimental piece, than worrying about lowering monetary collector value.

Whiplash1940 08-01-2013 07:09 AM

Yes! :) I just recently discovered numrich and I'm enjoying everything besides the fact that I'm ordering over 50 percent of the parts of a total gun. Though some might think I'm crazy I really am just replacing the parts that I've found are missing. And yes, sentimental value is key in this project so not to worried about money values. I appreciate the help though and will give the other site you mention a whirl here!

hiwall 08-01-2013 01:41 PM

Numrich or Gun Parts Corp is the same company. Many parts are also available on Ebay.

JimRau 08-01-2013 02:08 PM

Welcome. You don't say where you are, but I have a local source for parts on older guns so PM me and I will give you this info.
Jim Rau

angryhart 08-01-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiplash1940
So, new to this site and recently acquired a firearm I need some good pointers on. It is a 1953 marlin 336SC. I got it from my wife's grandmother as a result of my wife's grandfathers passing. It is to be my first total restoration product but not to sure of where to purchase parts for the firearm. Any suggestions, pointers, input of any sorts welcome!

I have a 336RC. Serial# started with a T. If I remember right it was made in 1960 something. Check the firing pin. Original pins I hear weren't always the best. Mine broke after I fired one round. Easy fix but when you don't get to shoot much there is nothing more annoying. Easy fix though. Yours may not have that problem but as I've learned, having extra parts around isn't a bad idea. Best of luck to you with your restoration

Whiplash1940 08-01-2013 08:36 PM

Thank you angryhart! Yeah, I actually don't have a firing pin with it. One of the many parts I'm gonna have to replace. Not much of the gun was originally intact unfortunately but so far everyone hers has been helpful with finding the parts needed.