Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Marlin 336 questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/marlin-336-questions-64843/)

weids 05-20-2012 03:41 PM

Marlin 336 questions

I recently bought a lever action Marlin 30-30 from the local dunhams here because it was on sale and I have always wanted this gun. I brought it home and started checking things over a little better (which I should've done at the store) and found that the magazine is very loose under the barrel, I tried tightening up the screw at the end and that didn't work. I was wondering if this is something that is supposed to happen with these rifles or if it's just faulty.

Clem 05-21-2012 02:12 PM

The muzzle end of the magazine tube is secured with what Marlin calls a magazine tube stud which is dovetailed into the barrel. If the dovetailed fitting is loose in the dovetail, the tube will feel loose. You may want to consider peening the two dovetail tabs just a bit to more tightly clamp the fitting. It should be pretty simple.

jeepejeep 05-21-2012 04:10 PM

It's a brand new gun, bring it back, show the clerk the problem and get another one. This isn't normal and needs to be replaced or corrected.

TooStrongTerry 05-23-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepejeep
It's a brand new gun, bring it back, show the clerk the problem and get another one. This isn't normal and needs to be replaced or corrected.

+1...they should send it back or fix it themselves. Ya never know if it could be dangerous to the person shooting it. Take it back immediately

@TooStrongTerry

mountainman13 05-23-2012 01:42 PM

Welcome to FTF.
As the guys said bring it back. They should Exchange it for you. Aside from the little issue you have yourself a great gun Congrats.

weids 05-25-2012 02:56 AM

I would take it back but the sign at Dunhams says that there is a no return policy on firearms. It was a stupid pick up on my part I really should've looked it over better than what I did, also along with the magazine tube being shaky I took my scope off flipped up the rear sight and it was completely off line from front sight, it's ridiculous how off these two sights are.

mountainman13 05-25-2012 02:58 AM

Ok is the feed tube loose at the band, is the screw missing,or is it loose going into the receiver?
Can you take a pic of the sights etc?

weids 05-25-2012 03:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The rear sight is right after the scope rail. The screw is still there you can see it through the mag tube into the barrel.

mountainman13 05-25-2012 03:05 AM

It looks like the front sight is crooked. All the problems may be related.
Have you tried tightening the screw? Is that where the tube rattles?

weids 05-25-2012 03:10 AM

Yea the front sight goes to the left a little and the rear goes way right, I did try to tighten the screw and it's as snug as I could get it and yea it moves forward and back.