Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Marlin 30-30 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/marlin-30-30-a-70680/)

carbon15man 08-19-2012 01:55 PM

Marlin 30-30

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 55048

Attachment 55049

There's the 30-30 I picked up yesterday at a local pawnshop it shoots well and it's a lot of fun but the problem I'm having Is the scope i was told that's an original marlin scope idk much about it. All I know is it's not really clean and I need a new one so what would be a good scope for me?

Axxe55 08-19-2012 02:38 PM

i think Glenfield Marlin sourced those scopes from one of the scope companies and had their name put on them.

there are plenty of good scopes that would work great on that rifle. just depends on your budget. Nikon, Redfield, Bushnell, BSA, ect. .....

i would think a 2-7x32 or maybe a 3-9x40 of even a 1-4x32 if you want to keep the shots closer.

check out SWFA, Optics Planet, MidwayUSA or even MidSouth Shooters Supply for some good scopes at a decent price.

KeysKelly 08-19-2012 03:43 PM

I have just a $30 Tosco 3X9 32mm scope I bought from Walmart on mine and it works great. I also enjoyed shooting it iron shight when I first bought it. You might want to try no scope for a while just to play. You get more of a feel for what the rifle will do when you shoot iron sights.

carbon15man 08-19-2012 03:46 PM

With the rings on it I can still shoot iron sights I was Doin it yesterday it's pretty sweet I've never seen rings like it

KeysKelly 08-19-2012 03:50 PM

I love mine. Cheap enough ammo to plink, powerful enough to hunt small and medium game, accurate enough to target shoot and just a lot of fun. You'll never go wrong with a lever action Marlin.

SSGN_Doc 08-19-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbon15man (Post 909054)
With the rings on it I can still shoot iron sights I was Doin it yesterday it's pretty sweet I've never seen rings like it

The rings are great for using your iron sights, but for using the scope, that design is not the best, because it puts the pupil of the scope pretty high above the bore and it reduces the ability to have a good cheek weld while using the scope.

I prefer a low mounted, low magnification scope, a red dot or no scope at all on a lever gun.

woody63m 08-19-2012 04:45 PM

I was stupid enough to get rid of mine awhile back im still kicking my own butt for that one

cottontop 08-19-2012 05:12 PM

Marlin is a good company. You might try sending the scope back to them with a pitiful story about how the scope is fogged up and you really like it otherwise and you like the rifle thyat it came with, etc. and it is possible that they may repair (or have it repaired) it or send you another one. You also might try to look up Marlin's policies on line. If their policies don't seem favorable, give them a call. Who knows, they might do something for you.
cottontop

The_Kid 08-19-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbon15man (Post 909054)

Using the see-thru rings is the setup I like best with my Win94ae 30-30. My best shot using a rifle was shot using a scope within those rings.

It now sports a Williams FP peep, but when I get a better scope, (possibly a Nikko Stirling Platinum Nighteater,) I'll be using those rings in conjunction with the stock sights.

carbon15man 08-19-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woody63m
I was stupid enough to get rid of mine awhile back im still kicking my own butt for that one

Yea I don't thin I'll be getting rid of it ever. Hell I already want to buy another 30-30 they hav a 94 up there for 250 only thing is somebody put a scope on it and drilled into the receiver