Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Marlin 1895GBL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5273 Times on 2749 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Default Marlin 1895GBL

Picked up a marlin 1895GBL today. a good 45-70 has been on my short list for the last two decades. price was 620$ new. the GBL stands for guide big loop. the barrel is 18.5 inches capacity 6+1.

(pardon the finger prints i cleaned it up for the next pic)

ive read a lot about marlin being bought out by the company that owns remington and about cross bolt safeties and how rotten marlin guns are in fit.

ive check out a LOT of marlins in the last few weeks read a lot of opinions and it seems that those that dont own one hate them those that do love em. well i bought one. on first pass i dont see any apparent flaws in a gun at this price point.

the purpose of the gun is a good backup brush rifle for my trips to texas.

the finish is about what i expected for a utility gun. its not the best bluing job but its far better than the stuff generally being offered by remington winchester and others in the sub 1000$ range.

a lot of talk has been done about cross bolt safeties on lever guns. below you can see the safety just below the hammer. while its not in the most accessable location it does have a huge benefit. the marlin version when activated acts as a very simple decocker. the trigger can be pulled and the hammer safely lowered on a live chamber with the safety on. the hammer can then be half-cocked and the safety turned off. i honestly do not see how this is in any possible fashion a negative feature.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

the following two pics are the stock and foregrip. i love the coloration of the grain. the metal to wood fit is very very good and its very solid.

the action is very tight there is no looseness. trigger is decent seems very crisp if a bit on the heavy side but thats a good thing in a brush gun. im sure it will smooth out a bit with a little use. i like the big loop grip but im probably going to get a small loop for summer use.

the rear sight is a fold down plastic buckhorn leaf style. front sight is a very small bead with hood. both are mounted in dove tails. my only complaint atm is the front sight is hard for me to pick up. i think im going to try and find a fiber optic for the front and a metal replacement for the rear.

i also got 4 boxes of winchester 300grn hollowpoints and one box of hornady 325grain lever revolution ammo. the hornady revolution is a little hard to load while the flat tip winchester hp is very easy. i expect loading will get easier as the parts break in a bit.

the reason i bought some is everyone is sold out of 45-70 brass atm. so i just picked up 100 rounds of factory ammo.

range report to follow soon.

my impressions is the marlin 1895GBL is a very very nice rifle for the price range, especially in the powerful 45-70 chambering.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #3

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

The safety thing is from purists and old timers(like me). Looks like a nice gun and the 45-70 is a great cartridge. I think it is going to buck and snort with that short barrel but you can get used to that. Looking forward to the range report.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
The safety thing is from purists and old timers(like me). Looks like a nice gun and the 45-70 is a great cartridge. I think it is going to buck and snort with that short barrel but you can get used to that. Looking forward to the range report.
im a long time 458winmag shooter so im not recoil shy. but i agree its prolly gonna have a stiff muzzle blast. i love 45cal weapons pistols and rifles. im hoping this gun shoots as good as it looks and feels. the balance is really really good.

ive never owned a lever gun before so i can only give impressions from a total lever action nub

Old 10-06-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

I have a Guide Gun with the straight stock. I really like mine. Even with the ported barrel, recoil is noticable. I installed a Pachmayer Decellerator pad (prefit) and it helped.

Maybe it is that I shoot a handload with 340 gr HARD cast bullet at 2100 fps! My load is a little warm, but have no pressure signs. Utility poles will not stop this bullet. I found a guy in evilbay that makes a nice ghost ring rear sight at a pretty reasonable price.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-06-2011, 04:09 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Im gonna shoot it as is this weekend before i make any decisions. But im pretty certain i want a fiber optic front bead. Ill be loading for it when i finish off the factory loads.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations! Marlin Lever 45/70's are some of my favorite rifles. Can I borrow it for a while?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #8

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wow I love that rifle. I nearly bought the exact same thing about two months ago but I ended up with a CZ 453 instead. Very nice looking, great size for carrying on an ATV, enough power for anything you might meet including a bigfoot ( ), and a nice big lever for hands with gloves or big hands like mine. My main complaint with most lever actions is I can only get two fingers in the lever. Not with that baby. I want one, I want one!!!!

Old 10-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #9

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i honestly do not see how this is in any possible fashion a negative feature.
I can think of one. If the safety were to fail, you'd get an accidental discharge. Better to just let the hammer down gently in the conventional fasion.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 10-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
I can think of one. If the safety were to fail, you'd get an accidental discharge. Better to just let the hammer down gently in the conventional fasion.
Just put the safety on and your then able to lower the hammer safely with your thumb. I dont see how its any different tho than a decocker on a pistol. Its hella safer to lower the hammer gently with the safety on then doing it with no safety bar...