Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Marlin 1894C from Big 5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 03:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Marlin 1894C from Big 5

any good or negative comments re purchasing a rifle from Big 5? they've got it on sale for $100 less than i've seen it online or at a gunshop.

movie zombie

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I considered that Marlin, but I've also considered the Puma too. I don't see any reason not to get it. Some people have said that vendors such as Big 5 and Walmart get cheaper versions of what you'll find in higher line gun sellers. Don't know if it's true, but if the action and the barrel and mechanics are the same, why not?

And of course I recommend buying Milsurps from them. Except for their M1 Carbines. The CMP carbines are much superior and cheaper.

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-26-2008, 02:26 AM   #3

I have a Marlin 1984C in .38/.357 that I really like it a lot. I got it from a Mom and Pop Grocery Store/Gas Station/Gun Shop up in N.H. a few years ago. I don't know what they go for now, but I think I paid $250 for it. Great little rifle.
If it's what you want and the price is right, grab it. That story of "Big Box" retailers selling "lesser quality" guns is largely false. The gun companies aren't likely to let anything out of their factories nowadays that don't meet their quality standards. Too many greedy lawyers ready to rape them if one blows up in sombodys face. There used to be "Private Label" guns made for exclusive sale through some large retailers like Sears (Ted Williams brand) but that's mostly a thing of the past now. Some of them may have been intended for the "no frills" lower end of the market, with cheaper wood and less polished finishes, but they still have to perform up to the same standards as their more expensive counterparts.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Cheaper wood and such was basically my point I guess. I don't care that much about the wood as long as it works, whether it's walnut, beech, or birch isn't important.

9x18=Makarov