Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Marksmanship

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Marksmanship

I don't wont to become a scout sniper but I wont to be as accurate and be able to shoot from all positions like a scout sniper where would I go to learn these skills

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #2

Liked 2176 Times on 1120 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Check into CMP 3 position matches. http://www.odcmp.com/
The NRA should be helpful as well. http://competitions.nra.org/news-and-events/rifle-programs.aspx

It's been my observation that if one can shoot well standing, kneeling & prone are easy in comparison. I shot Smallbore Rifle Silhouette for a few years as a teen. When I joined the USAF, kneeling & prone were simply a formality come time to qual w/ the M-16. YMMV.

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

Liked 4718 Times on 2693 Posts
Likes Given: 3735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Check into CMP 3 position matches. http://www.odcmp.com/
The NRA should be helpful as well. http://competitions.nra.org/news-and-events/rifle-programs.aspx

It's been my observation that if one can shoot well standing, kneeling & prone are easy in comparison. I shot Smallbore Rifle Silhouette for a few years as a teen. When I joined the USAF, kneeling & prone were simply a formality come time to qual w/ the M-16. YMMV.

^^^^^ This!

Learn to shoot offhand, and the other positions will take care of themselves.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #4

Liked 909 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

Sorry, but I don't know of but one place to learn to shoot like a scout sniper but there is information on the web where you can learn some good fundamentals.

Keep in mind though that are different situations that call for different shooting skills. A scout sniper is an expert at extreme long distance shooting. So you would need to learn extreme long range shooting skills. But the majority of shots are not extreme long distance, and you wouldn't likely be in a concealed prone position with a solid rest in most situations. In most situations you would need more practical shooting skills like those already described: standing (off hand), kneeling, and sitting.

I would advise that you look up and practice all of those along with long range shooting.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #5

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

A good reference for starters is the army sniper training and employment manual.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Coming from a competitive archery background(traditional/recurves/longbows,no sights)......shooting rifles offhand is kind of easy.

You need to get the "basic's" down in whatever discipline,don't try to reinvent the wheel here.There has been,literally books written on the subject(googlefoo David Tubbs) and you won't live long enough to try anywhere close to what's already been attempted,WRT proper form.

Once the basic's are understood.....they need to be practiced until its on a subconscious level.IOW's....you can do it in your sleep.It takes practice and DEDICATION.

One bit of advice,the further you stray away from the basic's.....the further you'll have to come back to....when you get in a slump.Look at the basics as the foundation of a building.Think really big,truck sized boulders.As the building gets higher the pcs get smaller.A proper foundation(in this case instruction)is what you're trying to build on.

Pick up a book or two off Amazon,David Tubbs is one place to start.Then google foo some NRA matches.Go to one.....see how you like it.Good luck.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #7

Liked 1446 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecollecter View Post
I don't wont to become a scout sniper but I wont to be as accurate and be able to shoot from all positions like a scout sniper where would I go to learn these skills
http://appleseedinfo.org/#

Even if you don't attend, you can 'follow their program'. It's amazing how a sling can tighten up your group.

I got a 10/22 TD this winter. Typically I practice offhand standing; and standing, kneeling, sitting & prone with a sling. I did change the iron sights through. One sheet of five targets gets me ten shots in each position from a 50 round box.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #8

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The military program for Snipers is extreme. Shooting of course working as a team with your spotter. The physical and physiological training is intense.