Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mark Up (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mark-up-39711/)

BudW 03-12-2011 11:23 PM

Mark Up
 
Whats the average mark up on a new gun?

2hot2handle 03-12-2011 11:38 PM

8%

lowest mark up for anything on the market I do believe

Wambli 03-13-2011 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BudW (Post 463538)
Whats the average mark up on a new gun?

Don't really think there is an "average". I've seen everything from MSRP to some stores only trying to get 5-10% over wholesale and hoping to live off ammo and accessories...

Used guns are normally 30-50% over what the store paid for them.

Up to the buyer to do their homework on pricing on guns they are interested in so they can spot a good deal.

JonM 03-13-2011 01:48 AM

just depends. the gsg 1911-22 dealer cost is 300$ in wisconsin most shops sell em for 399$ 33% markup. but we have pretty stiff sale taxes and terrible business taxes so the customer pays a good deal more. good buys tend to be used guns as your eliminating a lot of depreciation.

therewolf 03-13-2011 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wambli (Post 463590)
Don't really think there is an "average". I've seen everything from MSRP to some stores only trying to get 5-10% over wholesale and hoping to live off ammo and accessories...

Used guns are normally 30-50% over what the store paid for them.

Up to the buyer to do their homework on pricing on guns they are interested in so they can spot a good deal.

No truer words...

I use gunbroker(a lot) to give me valuation input. I've found a lot of

overpriced

(especially used) stuff at gun dealers and pawn shops. It seems as though

EVERYONE thinks their manky,mouldy,shopworn, rusty old Colt 1911 is worth

3500$ for no good particular reason, for one.

Wambli 03-13-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 463734)
No truer words...

I use gunbroker(a lot) to give me valuation input. I've found a lot of

overpriced

(especially used) stuff at gun dealers and pawn shops. It seems as though

EVERYONE thinks their manky,mouldy,shopworn, rusty old Colt 1911 is worth

3500$ for no good particular reason, for one.

Absolutely right! There are a lot of folks out there mighty proud of grampa's ol' rusted gun. Also a lot of dealers are preying on newbies that are just getting into the sport which seems to be more popular than ever. They know that the guys that know something will shop the gun and haggle anyway.

When you use Gunbroker (which I do too) make sure you look at guns tha are sold or actualy being bid on not just the listing prices. You can put any price you want on GB, does not mean you'll get it.

therewolf 03-13-2011 01:59 PM

I guess what goes unsaid is there's "asking price" or "seller's valuation"

VS "buyer's price", what most will actually pay for a gun.

Just look at gunbroker carefully, and you'll notice at lot of

guns have O (ZERO) bids at the end of an auction.

It's easy to say "The "book value" of this item is 2500$!". In reality,

for fast liquidation, you may have to accept 1/2 to 1/3 of that

figure.

clr8ter 03-13-2011 03:53 PM

The other week, I was at the LGS, and he came down on a gun from $375 to $330 & a box of ammo. Cash, that day only. He did say that he needed money, but I doubt he took a loss.....

therewolf 03-13-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter (Post 463977)
The other week, I was at the LGS, and he came down on a gun from $375 to $330 & a box of ammo. Cash, that day only. He did say that he needed money, but I doubt he took a loss.....

I imagine you were both smiling as you walked out the door. The great thing

here is you stood up and bargained with the guy. In the end he'll respect you

more for it. Sometimes a gun that's just been sitting around for a while can be had cheaper.

It's a two way street, if a seller throws in a freebie, I'm more likely to buy a little extra ammo or accessories. Otherwise all we are left with is Wal-Mart,Gunbroker,and larger suppliers, as the LGS goes the way of the Buffalo...


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:08 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.