Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mare's leg Suggestion please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2661 Times on 1565 Posts
Likes Given: 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75370 View Post
I'm surprised anyone would want one, you have to shoot it like a handgun and you're limited rifle specs?????
when i try to shoot it like a pistol, i don't have much success with accuracy.

the trick is to hold it like a rifle without a stock. get a good cheek weld on the small stock and line up like a rifle. its plenty accurate at 25 yards for me, if i aim it this way. it actually feels more natural than you would think.

of course for fun, not accuracy, you pop em off from the hip.

they are fun and really cool. they can be shot accurately. but it is not really a practical gun. it would make a pretty decent backpack or atv gun.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
I never will understand the "mares leg" Can't shot it like a rifle and does not make a worth while handgun. Buy your self a nice colt style single action or a real lever action. Atleast they will have a practical use .
actually, as said in the post above, you CAN shoot them like a rifle with good results. it is MUCH more accurate at distance than any pistol i have used (i guess the long barrel helps here.)

my problem is the price. they should be cheaper imo. when you can get a decent lever rifle for the same price as the CHEAPEST mare's leg, they are overpriced. i paid $420 for my ranch hand, and i really felt i overpaid to be honest. no way i would pay the $700 + other companies ask for a mares leg.

and i was kinda disappointed that the rossi took so much work to just get it on target. when you buy one, go ahead and order the new sights, cause it is going to shoot about 4"+ high.

on the other hand, they are a really cool little toy. probably one of the funnest guns i have to shoot. if i ever get the flip cock down, i might just keep the thing.
rossi-ranch-hand-2.jpg  

Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin81 View Post
Yeah this gun will just be a range toy! No real need for it I'm just am looking for something to play with.

play the victim, be the victim
then you should be happy with it. it surprises me how many people say this gun has "no use", when the majority of posters here have guns like AR's and AK-47's, and rarely use them for anything more than popping cans or punching paper. honestly, since i don't hunt, i can't say any of my guns have a real use, but i enjoy them all the same.

most of us have a gun or two just for fun. the mare's leg is a fun little gun to have. if you like lever actions as much as i do, you will probably like it. you just have to decide if its worth it for you.

and another thing to consider. most guns you purchase, if you take care of them can be re sold for 50-75% of the orginal value. if you get tired of it, it can always be traded in or sold for future projects.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #14

Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

My DE isn't super practical, but it's a great icebreaker at the range.

The Mare's Leg should be a great conversation starter.

I know I like to share at the range, and try other people's stuff.

I bet it would be a lot of fun, if you enjoy swapping and trying

other guns.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #15

Default Henry Mares Leg...

I don't really like the tube loading either. However, I can get used to it. Henry makes a top quality Mares Leg, and they have second to none customer service.

This guy shoots it like a rifle. Check it out:

Old 07-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #16

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin81 View Post
Well my LGS has a nice Ruger vaquero in 45lc with a 4 in barrel that I may buy instead. I really like an feel of the cowboy action guns and it's used but looks new. They also have one with a 6 inch barrel but I like the shorter one better. There is nothing like black grips on a high shine nickel finished gun. I hate the tough decisions.

play the victim, be the victim
Buy the Ruger vaquero. You will not regret it.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #17

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Yea. I have the New Vaquero. Beautiful finish on the gun. Nice shooter too. You wont be sorry.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
I don't really like the tube loading either. However, I can get used to it. Henry makes a top quality Mares Leg, and they have second to none customer service.

This guy shoots it like a rifle. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrdBwufS_HM
just came across this again. i didn't realize the henry's loaded like this. there is another reason to NOT buy the henry imo (besides the high price).

the rossi loads in the receiver, like a typical lever....much better.

the henry does look like better quality though.

mare's legs = FUN, period. i always have someone ask me to shoot it, if i take it to the range.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #19

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Well my LGS has a nice Ruger vaquero in 45lc with a 4 in barrel that I may buy instead.

That would be a much better choice.

Jim