Mare's leg - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mare's leg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3028 Times on 1809 Posts
Likes Given: 2051

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
this useless gun made a big resurgence in the last year or so following it airing as a major bit on the sons of guns show on one episode. since then its all over the place.

if you like it fine, nothing wrong with that. i just think its a useless concept
that is an understandable viewpoint, but i disagree. imo, if someone uses an AR-15 (or any other gun) for nothing more than paper punching or plinking, how "useful" or "practical" is it?

i think it can be about as useful as any other lever rifle in the same caliber, although it is limited by barrel length...which could be an advantage or disadvantage...depending on use.

i still say it makes a fine little truck/rv/backpack gun. mine is a very decent shooter. have you ever gotten to shoot one?

and imo, any gun that brings a to my face is not useless.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:32 AM   #12

Liked 1912 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1263

I have seen them at several gun stores. My interest lasted about a minute. I cant see trying to shoulder something with half a stock. And if I want a pistol then I will use a pistol. It looks to me that they were going for the best of both worlds but found neither.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9168 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Yes, have shot one (briefly) Gent at the range loaned his to me for a few shots. Reminded me a bit of some military survival rifles with very short barrels. Could maybe see one if storage space was critical (light airplane).

History trivia- the orignal Mare's Laig got the TV show in trouble with the ATF- seems they made a SBR without touching second base. WHOOPS! And, if you ever watch the show, his rifle- a 44-40, but ammo in his belt loops- 45-70 (looked much cooler)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 AM   #14

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

If you could get one in a rifle caliber, wouldn't it make a good home defense weapon?

Short and easy to move around corners but with a rifles stopping power.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #15

Liked 3028 Times on 1809 Posts
Likes Given: 2051

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
If you could get one in a rifle caliber, wouldn't it make a good home defense weapon?

Short and easy to move around corners but with a rifles stopping power.
i think the only way they get around the atf, is that these are manufactured as pistols. if it was in a rifle caliber, it would be considered a SBR. the current mare's legs are classified and manufactured as pistols, thus legal. at least this is my understanding of this logical law.....

and even though i am somewhat defending the mare's leg's usefulness as a firearm, it would be pretty low on my list for home defense. it would do the job, just not the best choice imo.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9168 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Hawk- you are correct. The HollyWeird folks butchered a couple of Winchesters, making them SBRs. The current crop of guns are made AS pistols, and do not fall under the NFA.

And please note that the "rifle caliber" of the Mare's Leg guns are things like 45 Colt, 44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, etc.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I don't know what you would do with it. Unless you were trying to emulate Josh Randolph on "Wanted Dead Or Alive".
Steve McQueen's character's name was Randall (not sure if I spelled it right) not Randolph.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #18

It is not the round that makes a rifle a rifle. It is the stock. I own a Thompson Contender that is a handgun but shoots rifle calibers. There is also the BFR revolver that shoots a 45-70. Heck I have even seen a Derringer that shoots a 45-70.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #19

We have some strange laws when it comes to rifles and pistols. If you purchase a Contender as a pistol you can use it as a rifle. But if you buy one as a rifle you can not use it as a pistol. Even though the action is the same.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Hawk- you are correct. The HollyWeird folks butchered a couple of Winchesters, making them SBRs. The current crop of guns are made AS pistols, and do not fall under the NFA.

And please note that the "rifle caliber" of the Mare's Leg guns are things like 45 Colt, 44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, etc.
Actually JB Custom will sell you a 10" take down Mare's Leg in 30.30 or 44.40. Big Bucks.....but well made.