manlicher garcano / carcano

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > manlicher garcano / carcano

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 3

Default manlicher garcano / carcano

Hi all, was wondering if anyone knows much firsthand about this infamous JFK murder weapon, apparently it's supposed to be an unworkable piece of crap that's almost useless at long range. ... I guess Garbonzo Manlicker thought he could make a quick buck of of some unsuspecting italians.
has anyone ever had / shot one of these things ?

2:41 into the video.

link included for reference, not to start a political slugfest.

marlin 1895sbl, g 30sf, wilson KZ45, & more
hoplophobia. : irrational fear of weapons as opposed to people.
odd : " oppositional defiance disorder. ", AKA having a spine. me to a tee.

... if the mafia was any bigger, it'd be our govt.
god guts gold guns, yeehaw
NAGR>NRA
45≠fat

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9200 Times on 3970 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Yes, I own. Yes, have shot. Moderate recoil, decent accuracy.

As far as some of the conspiracy theory folks declaiming that one of the fired bullets could not have survived in good condition after passing thru two people- the military FMJ I have shot would shoot thru a steel well casing and remain intact.

Do I think that LHO could have killed Kennedy with a Carcano? Yep.

Read the post- assasination testing that was done with that and smilar Carcanos. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._Kennedy_assassination_rifle

BTW- the range was UNDER 100 yards, with target moving directly away (no leading of target required) Hell, I shoot a REVOLVER at 100 yards!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 06-24-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #3

Liked 733 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 760

6.5 caliber, A slightly larger bullet then the 6.5x55 swede. You would be amazed at those old rifles could do. The progressive twist is odd, but it functions and shoots fine.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sweet shooting little gun. smoothest action of any boltgun i ever owned.ugly. hit at least two feet left of aim. ammo hard to find and expensive. two boxes of shells cost more than blue book on the gun.sold it the same year i bought it.

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 06-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

wasn't the guy that shot him using a rest, and wasn't he also ex military? What makes this guy a shooting expert?

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 06-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9200 Times on 3970 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Oswald was a former Marine. Read the link I posted.

But to cut to the question- COULD a Carcano have been used to make those shots? Yep. And other folks have done so in controlled tests.

I HAVE read a statement about how the scope on THE rifle was loose, out of zero- but have also read examiner's statement that THE rifle was missing a metal shim on the scope, and there was a gouge in the metal at that point- shim was replaced, scope adjusted. Supposition is that in rough handling, scope may have been banged up.

I think most folks here could hit a man at 100 yards with a scoped rifle, shooting from the bench. The shots fired at Kennedy were at 58-88 yards.

That was NOT a Carlos Hathcock making a 2000 meter shot.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #7

Likes Given: 3

Default dude

dude , oswald was into all kinds of creepy ****. just like tim mc.veigh was working with the army in demolitions and hangin' around elohim city / the splc. alot.
My problem with the comission is that it fails to address the eerie number of ppl who died immediately after the event, mostly witnesses, and hey it concluded conspiracy was likely anyway so let's open all our minds.
I have articles from the telegraph about flu shots causing fits & being suspended and i have the former head of the iI.S.I. comin' out for 9/11 truth, i don't even need jfk,
, but i kno a president being whacked when i see one.
... im sure there are provisions, against this type of political stuff, save it for the lounge section. . . .
JFK was a wonderful man and it was sad to see him go, as soon as he started bad -mouthing the bankers.

marlin 1895sbl, g 30sf, wilson KZ45, & more
hoplophobia. : irrational fear of weapons as opposed to people.
odd : " oppositional defiance disorder. ", AKA having a spine. me to a tee.

... if the mafia was any bigger, it'd be our govt.
god guts gold guns, yeehaw
NAGR>NRA
45≠fat

Old 07-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #8

Nope, it wasn't done with a single shooter using that rifle. Tests to duplicate it by top marksmen could get off the rounds in that length of time, and hits on a stationary target during that time frame were lacking. When the rifle was recovered, the cheap scope and mount were loose. Oswald just barely qualified as a Marksman in the Marines. The very lowest level of marksmanship. Moving target through tree branches, at a fair distance away...not likely. The theory of the bullet pathway absolutely sucks. A shot from the rear and from elevation would have taken out his forehead instead of real life removal of the back of his head. I do have an entire action, minus the stock, in a 7.35 ( a little larger than the 6.5 of Oswald's, but the same action) It actually appears to be fairly well made, but none of the reports of Italy's war weapons would make them target rifles. Probably pretty deadly at short ranges is as far as I would venture