Making an Electric Bore Cleaning Kit - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Making an Electric Bore Cleaning Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesnester View Post
Yes it works, perhaps it works too good. Be very carefull in using this device, you can damage your bore if you leave it hooked up too long. Leaving this device hooked up too long will lead to bore damage, pitting and bore metal being electroliticly etched . One thing I would question is, just how long is too long before you start eating into the bore?
Eaglenester,
I'm sure if someone was stupid enough and left the Electric Bore Cleaner hooked up all day to a rifle,then they would get some type of bore damage from it.
I have used this type of set up on many guns,and it works great.But I have never used it longer than 30-45 minutes on any gun.That amount of time was in the instructions that I read in the "How to Make an Electric Bore Cleaner".

If you don't like/trust doing this to your guns,Fine.That's your choice!

I had a big Copper fouling problem with this rifle,and was tired of having to clean and scrub the bore for several days,using conventional ways.
This set up worked great,in 45 minutes,all the copper was gone from the bore.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #12

Liked 76 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default making your own

I saw that on the surpluserifle website home menu general maintenance the list there are 3 on how to make your own homemade bore cleaners the 8th and 9th from the bottom the column

Old 06-10-2011, 03:45 AM   #13

I don't know why you don't just send it back to Savage.
Using all of those copper cleaners has ruined your barrel, the amonia will haze and pit the barrel. It will never shoot it's best, it may still shoot good, but will not be a one holer.
There was obviously a problem with the barrel and Savage has excellent customer service, return it, have them put a new barrel on it so you can have fun shooting and not spend so much time cleaning the barrel.

Either that or buy a premium barrel and replace it yourself or have a smith do it.

My Best, John K

Old 06-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #14
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman55 View Post
I don't know why you don't just send it back to Savage.
Using all of those copper cleaners has ruined your barrel, the amonia will haze and pit the barrel. It will never shoot it's best, it may still shoot good, but will not be a one holer.
There was obviously a problem with the barrel and Savage has excellent customer service, return it, have them put a new barrel on it so you can have fun shooting and not spend so much time cleaning the barrel.

Either that or buy a premium barrel and replace it yourself or have a smith do it.

My Best, John K
Sorry to disappoint you John,but I do know a little bit about how to tinker with a gun.And unless you leave a high amonia cleaner in a gun barrel for an extended amount of time,it's not going to hurt a barrel.
Oh,by the way,I think it shoots just dandy now-

Old 07-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #15

Default DIY: how to make your cleaner.

http://surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp

http://surplusrifle.com/reviews/edred/index.asp

I dident make mine permanant, I could use a common 2 D-cell flashlight, the wire was speaker wire, the ends stripped and wrapped where needed, in end I made my own cleaner and had a nasty Blackish/Brown foam froth from the bore, I dont recomend running this for very long, the 2 D-cell works extremely fast.
All in all I dident run it more than 40 minuets tops for any one gun.
I had cleaned my arms before and had run wet patches and dry patches till nothing showd on the patch, still one could see the copper fouling at the muzzle, knowing I had a supposedly squeeky clean bore before and when the cleaner was running was amazeing wat drooled out, I stroungley suggest removing the stock before hand and do it over a dish pan or 5 gallon bucket as its very messy.
I did it to a Savage 110, a Mosin P-27 and a Carcano and was very amazed.

Collecting and Shooting the Surplus Rifle - Love My Guns Electronic Gun Cleaner Report

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 07-05-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ View Post
Making the Surplus: Homade Electronic Bore Cleaner

http://surplusrifle.com/reviews/edred/index.asp

I dident make mine permanant, I could use a common 2 D-cell flashlight, the wire was speaker wire, the ends stripped and wrapped where needed, in end I made my own cleaner and had a nasty Blackish/Brown foam froth from the bore, I dont recomend running this for very long, the 2 D-cell works extremely fast.
All in all I dident run it more than 40 minuets tops for any one gun.
I had cleaned my arms before and had run wet patches and dry patches till nothing showd on the patch, still one could see the copper fouling at the muzzle, knowing I had a supposedly squeeky clean bore before and when the cleaner was running was amazeing wat drooled out, I stroungley suggest removing the stock before hand and do it over a dish pan or 5 gallon bucket as its very messy.
I did it to a Savage 110, a Mosin P-27 and a Carcano and was very amazed.
i'm new to electric bore cleaning kits, but your articles helped a lot.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just found this post... Surplus's website is still screwed up though. Can't access any of the links..

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 09-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #18

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

this is freakin sweet!! I'm gonna try it on my Mosin, the bore looks like a dark well.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #19

Default You-Tube DIY electro bore cleaners

Electro bore cleaning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive built my own using a d-cell flashlight and 2 pieces of wire and a steel rod and electric tape and a rubber stopper. some ammonia base windex and some white vinegar mix. 3/1 ratio

the idea is to remove bullet jacket fouling from the barrel by electro plating process to remove the layer of crudd out your barrel

what they dont tell you is you could swear your barrel is spotless and the patches come out squeeky cleen but 15 minuets with one these babies you see a foul looking Brownish/Blackish froth of evil nasty stuff roiling up out your barrel.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum...TID=13074&PN=1

heres a couple diffrent ways of doing this thanks to You-Tube

Iraqveteran8888: "Introduction to basic electronic bore cleaning" Homemade Electric Bore Cleaner - YouTube
“Electronic Bore Cleaning Take 2″ | Electronic Lovers rifle being done.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #20

As environmentally friendly cleaning techniques continue to gain popularity, more people are looking for safe and eco-friendly alternatives that offer exceptional cleaning results without harming the environment. The increasing demand for eco-friendly cleaning machines and green cleaning chemicals have found use in various applications and industries,