Making an Electric Bore Cleaning Kit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Making an Electric Bore Cleaning Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 03:05 AM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Default Making an Electric Bore Cleaning Kit

As most have read lately,I have a bad Copper fouling problem with my new Savage 110FLCP 25/06 that I had the Savage Custom Shop build for me.

I'm the kind of guy that understands that nothing made by man is ever perfect,and it usually doesn't do any good to bitch and moan about a company turning out a product with a flaw.I just try to do what I can to fix the problem,and maybe learn something in the process.

I'm in no way mad at Savage Firearms,but they do need to check out the condition of the machining tools that are used in the manufacturing process from time to time,and these types of problems will be limited.
I have notified them about this problem,and could have returned the rifle,but then what would I be learning about how to fix the problem.

I have several different types of liquid,and foam bore cleaners that are for Copper Fouling.They do work good,but on this rifle it was taking atleast 3 days to get the copper out of the barrel,after soaking-brushing-patching.Also alot of Cussing!!!

These are patches after soaking the barrel with some liquid cleaners-

A member on another forum sent me a link for a homemade electric bore cleaner,so I said what the hell,I'll try it out!
It's a simple kit,and doesn't cost much to make.
I bought a Rayovac Industrial continuity testing flashlight for a power source-$5.00,along with some batteries.A Stainless Steel or Carbon Steel rod,I bought a 1/8" and a 3/16" rod for cleaning different size bores.You will also need some O-rings,and Rubber Stoppers that will fit your bore.
You also need an Industrial strength Ammonia solution,your local janitorial supply is a good place to find this stuff.Most of the Ammonia products found at grocery/hardware stores isn't strong enough.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You will also need some type of small funnel or syringe to put the cleaning solution into the barrel once you install the rod.I used part of a brake bleeding kit that I have in my toolbox.

Once you have plugged the chamber end of the barrel,install the rod into the bore with an O-ring on the bottom end of the rod.Then fill the barrel with the cleaning solution-I mixed mine 1 part water/1 part ammonia.
Then place another O-ring at the top of the rod and push it into the barrel,so that the rod doesn't touch the barrel.
Since my gun has a bull barrel and no sights,I just used a clamp and a piece of stripped wire to place the positive lead to.The negative just gets hooked to the rod in the bore;

If everything is good,when the Flashlight is turned on,the bulb will just faintly glow.If the rod is touching the barrel anywhere,the bulb will be bright.

After a few seconds,you will see the solution in the barrel start to foam,the longer it's on,the more it foams up.I wrapped a rag around the top of the barrel to keep the solution from running down the outside of the barrel.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

As you can see in the next pic,this thing really works.It cleans the bore pretty good.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

These are the first 4 patches that I ran through the bore after using this thing.Needless to say,I was surprised.

Now this isn't a perfect system,and it does take some time to set up and use.I let the sytem work for 30-45 minutes when I have tried it,and it seems to work alright,and it does take most of the copper,and all of the powder fouling out of the barrel.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #5

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Man, that's really well-done, THB. You should patent that thing. And the post should be STICKIED.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #6

Likes Given: 5

Default Your a genious!! Great job

That is the neatest thing I have ever seen. Where were you before I bought my electronic bore cleaner? LOL!!
Copper fouling is more of a problem that folks think. Aot will replace their scope when all they need is to clear the copper from the barrel. Usually found in the last 6 inches of the barrel to the muzzle (most important area. IMO)
I had a 270 in Rem mod. 700. 2 boxes were the max I could shoot before I had to clean the copper out of it, the bullets printed all over the target. Bore clean it and next range trip found all rounds in a 1 to 1.5 inch group at 100 yrds.

Again Great job on design, simple and affordable.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That is fantastic! great write-up. and thank you for sharing.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:52 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Well, Tx, looks like I need to get it together for one of these gizmos. What is the % concentration strength of the ammonia you are using?

Old 08-31-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertip 44 View Post
What is the % concentration strength of the ammonia you are using?
Try to find one with atleast 10-15% ammonia.I have also thought of just using some of the Montana Extreme Copper Solvent in the barrel with this set up.That stuff has a high % of ammonia in it.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default electric bore cleaning

Yes it works, perhaps it works too good. Be very carefull in using this device, you can damage your bore if you leave it hooked up too long. Leaving this device hooked up too long will lead to bore damage, pitting and bore metal being electroliticly etched . One thing I would question is, just how long is too long before you start eating into the bore? I just buy a can of WipeOut and forgetaboutit. Wipe out works, period. It is slow but it works and it works safely on your rifle. You can leave it in forever and it will not harm your bore, and it also leaves a rust preventative coating inside your bore after cleaning.

Last edited by eaglesnester; 04-27-2011 at 04:00 PM.
44-40pro Likes This