You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Magazines are consumables!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 02:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 599 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 2148

Default Magazines are consumables!

Here is what the ground looks like after a 300 yard Break Contact Drill at Max Velocity Tactical.
Executing a Break Contact means you do a lot of emergency reloads to cover your buddies.

MVT Student took the vid to make this important point.

Primary Rifle:
BCM 16 inch, LW barrel w/ EOtech 512.

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Last edited by bluez; 03-03-2015 at 02:08 AM.
kfox75 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-03-2015, 03:16 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7697 Times on 4104 Posts
Likes Given: 630

in the army we stuck empties in cargo pockets of bdu pants. mags are not expendable since you do not get more unless you steal em later...
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 03-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #3

During a Tactical Reload you retain magazines (ideally back into a pouch)

But during an Emergency Reload by definition you do not retain them and just eject/reload/shoot to cover your buddy.
These are 2 distinct types of reloads.
Depending on the situation you employ one or the other.

During an ambush/active firefight you employ Emergency reloads in the quest for fire superiority.

This is current Army/USMC TTPs

there is a school of thought that is looking at modifying the Emergency reload for preppers/civilians since our resupply is so insecure and to throw the mag real quick into the top of your shirt but its not generally agreed on.

I tried this many times and found often you dont want to lose even that 1 to 1.5 sec it takes to do that.

Primary Rifle:

Last edited by bluez; 03-03-2015 at 12:15 PM.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 187 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I see it as more of a training issue. With practice you can effectively use a "dump pouch " to collect your empties and in this kind of a contact volume is what is sought and again with practice you can still fire effectively (for this scenario) with one hand while the weak hand is securing the magazine. It is in my opinion all in how you train. If trained from the ground up to secure mags as you go it can be done and still maintain effectivness.

I have spares and realize there will be some losses but fully intend to save most or nearly all of mine. Of course my mobility means my brass and mags would be in a pile instead of scattered but I still provide training to some others and I train to retain.

Last edited by jsr5; 03-03-2015 at 03:58 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #5

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In the 82nd we trained to save our mags. Just tell the rest of your team you are reloading and they will make up for it. Cargo pockets was the ideal place until time provided to move them back to the mag pouch. There were times I was shooting with an empty mag still in my hand held against the rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-03-2015, 09:52 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7697 Times on 4104 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
During a Tactical Reload you retain magazines (ideally back into a pouch)

But during an Emergency Reload by definition you do not retain them and just eject/reload/shoot to cover your buddy.
These are 2 distinct types of reloads.
Depending on the situation you employ one or the other.

During an ambush/active firefight you employ Emergency reloads in the quest for fire superiority.

This is current Army/USMC TTPs

there is a school of thought that is looking at modifying the Emergency reload for preppers/civilians since our resupply is so insecure and to throw the mag real quick into the top of your shirt but its not generally agreed on.

I tried this many times and found often you dont want to lose even that 1 to 1.5 sec it takes to do that.
when bullets are flying at you, you never initiate a reload unless your under cover. i see lots of gamers doing reloads standing in the open loading and looking right left. me, im going to be behind cover... ive had real bullets shot at me its not fun. giving up cover to reload in a survival self defense situation isnt wise.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
when bullets are flying at you, you never initiate a reload unless your under cover. i see lots of gamers doing reloads standing in the open loading and looking right left. me, im going to be behind cover... ive had real bullets shot at me its not fun. giving up cover to reload in a survival self defense situation isnt wise.
I don't understand your post in connection of this discussion

No one is talking about leaving cover w/ either method of reload for either reason in any of my posts.

And I agree you see a lot of nonsense with reloading while standing or otherwise out of cover, by folks who learn from the SWAT fantasy camps out there like Magpul dynamics (as opposed to proper Small Unit Tactics training like Sierra 13, Max Velocity or Mosby) etc but these common errors have no relation to the two specific reload drills that exist.

Again:
Emergency reload = the mag freely falls (hopefully) as you release, and as it falls you replace and immediately keep firing. that is w/o stopping to spend that second to retain the mag. That's the definition of an Emergency reload.

Tactical reload, means you are not currently in contact (over a terrain feature for example and you are rallying after a firefight etc), and you perform a tactical reload to replace your partially empty magazine with a full one and then put the partial back in your rig to retain that mag and have that ammo just in case.
But you now have a full mag back in your weapon.

Thats the best way I know how to explain it and those are the definitions of the two standard reloads that exist.

Now as I mentioned before there is a school of thought thats considers preppers due to the worse supply situation (as illustrated in this vid) might want/need to modify those methods... but those are still the 2 basic reload methods that are in current use .

(modifications exist. but they are just that, modifications.. such as then in the past troops might just throw the empty into their open shirt...maybe even during an emergency reload when the supply situation was poor, like the way it might be with preppers.... and thats the point of this excellent vid I think at least in part)

Primary Rifle:

Last edited by bluez; 03-03-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:47 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 496 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 975

We were taught to aim for the dump pouch for a tactical reload and just drop it for a emergency reload.

Ideally, you always want to do tactical reloads and aim for your dump pouch. But just like most things, situation dictates.

JSR5- Training could help you retain more magazines, but I was taught that you have to "turn and burn" on contact and gain fire superiority immediately. They'd rather us just lose our empties and get them after the fight than to take that extra second to put them in a dump pouch. I was one of the best at doing tactical reloads and it still took me 1-2 seconds to get it in the pouch (granted, I could probably get that time down if I trained a lot more.) Those damn things are harder than they look

It all depends on the size of the enemy force, the cover you have around you, how many people you have on your side, etc etc... In an open field like that I'd be doing emergency reloads.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:37 AM   #9

Liked 414 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 220

As a guy who does no training at all, I can't see how you could handle the situation any differently. Open field, covering fire and moving as fast as possible? How could you recover mags in that scenario? What were the home vs numbers in the op? Looks like one of the worst possible scenarios to me.....I don't even play video games!
People Like This 
Old 03-04-2015, 04:40 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9107 Times on 5290 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I watched the video and think it does make a good point. My first take-away is don't get freaking caught out in the open with no cover, and if you do you pretty much can either reload on the run while dropping mags or get shot with an empty mag in your gun. I'll reload and drop the mags myself.

Under the specific conditions described there was no opportunity to reload under cover. That was not an option. So it was either reload or don't. The question or perhaps the lesson is that on a "break contact" (meaning retreat?) drill one should consider whether they will retain the empty mags- or not. If you cannot expect that you will get resupplied with mags it might be worth keeping them, but it might also cost you your life.
People Like This