Mag Capacity and Hunting?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mag Capacity and Hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1228 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 2478

Default Mag Capacity and Hunting?

This was just mentioned in another thread and I didn't want to get off topic in that thread, but does anyone know why states are so particular about your gun's magazine capacity when hunting?

I've never understood that one. It's not like a heard of deer just stand there while you unload 20 rounds on them. You generally get one shot and that's it regardless of how many rounds your gun holds so what's the point of that law? I just can't see having extra rounds in your rifle being any advantage while hunting?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
This was just mentioned in another thread and I didn't want to get off topic in that thread, but does anyone know why states are so particular about your gun's magazine capacity when hunting?

I've never understood that one. It's not like a heard of deer just stand there while you unload 20 rounds on them. You generally get one shot and that's it regardless of how many rounds your gun holds so what's the point of that law? I just can't see having extra rounds in your rifle being any advantage while hunting?
well it was a federal law that contained all the anti AR stuff and mixed in among that was also the magazine capacity. after that law expired some states used that law as state law. so for new york. its like the federal law was never expired. i dont believe its based on hunting/poaching but street thugs and such or so the government would have you believe

personnally im okay with it as far as the hunting aspect. i already hear bang bang bang bang from my dumbass neighbors shooting at running deer with a semi shotgun.. what hell would happen if they were allowed to rip off 30 rounds at one runnign deer?
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 12-13-2011 at 12:22 AM.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #3

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Here in NH there is a grey area. The law states"any magazine holding 5 rounds". So can you use a 10 round mag w/ 5? Also there are provisions for tube magazine rifles. It is simpler to just use a 5 round magazine.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #4

I wouldn't want to shoot a deer more than once, personally. It would ruin a lot of good meat. They might just be scared some guy who doesn't know how to hunt is going to go out in the woods and start ripping rounds like rambo and end up sending some stray bullets out towards someone's home. When I got checked (this was years back mind you), I was asked about the number of rounds in my gun, so I unloaded my SKS to show the game warden official how many rounds were in it. However, it had an integral magazine. He was more concerned with my license. I seem to run into them more when fishing than with hunting, like there's not enough fish to go around or something.

I think they see the trucks on the side of the road and just go back to make sure you're not drunk in your tree stand. That's another thing I hate; being in a tree stand, but it's required in a lot of areas for hunting with a rifle.

Last edited by triggernomic; 12-13-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #5

thats one thing that has always annoyed me. a friend of mine has two 10 round clips for his remington 7600 and he seems to think accuracy comes from pointing the gun in the general area and pulling the trigger as fast as he can. i have been guilty of spraying lead before which is one reason why im contemplating selling my remington 721 bolt and picking up a TC encore so that the urge to burn shells is reduced. dont get me wrong i have 3 high capacity mags for my .22 but they are only used for plinking on the range and thats where they should stay.

Remington 870 express 12gauge
Remington 597 LS HB .22lr
Remington 721 30.06

Old 12-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

To my surprise a couple of years ago, Georgia has no requirements for rifle magazine capacity only shotguns.
I called DNR to check because I wanted to use my M1As for hunting. I settled on 10 round mags. The 5 rounders are too difficult to get in and out of the rifle and a pain in the butt to work with.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 2478

Default Good for Georgia

Good for Georgia. I think at the end of the day most states just use mag capacity as means to make a few more dollars in fines? It's a 10 round max in S.C. I don't mind being limited to a 10 round mag. I could hunt with 5 rounds or even a single shot and it really wouldn't bother me. You almost never get more than one shot anyway, and that's all you really need. It's just the principle of the thing. Larger mags are legal to have so why not legal to hunt with? They don't offer any advantage to the hunter.

Yes, there are people that like to blast away. I personally enjoy hearing that while hunting because I know that means there's one extra deer in the woods for me to shoot latter (people that blast away generally don't hit anything). Those same people could blast away at anytime because larger mags are legal, except for hunting?

Old 12-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8852 Times on 3833 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

Quote:
what's the point of that law?
While I very much agree- never missed a deer completely with first shot and got it on second shot (it CAN happen) - you assume that there is a point to laws.

Sometimes, there IS no point.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:04 AM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

While I very much agree- never missed a deer completely with first shot and got it on second shot (it CAN happen) - you assume that there is a point to laws.

Sometimes, there IS no point.
I missed a huge mule deer buck, not once but 3 shots, I was so down it really humbled me at that point, an hour later my brother jerked away my rifle to shoot a 4x4 that was bedded only 65 yards away, 3 more shots 3 more mis, we get back to camp at tried to check zero thats when I noticed the screw in the scope base was gone. But yea that miss made me a lot more I guess u can say proactive on gun checks an care

Old 12-15-2011, 03:06 AM   #10

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
Here in NH there is a grey area. The law states"any magazine holding 5 rounds". So can you use a 10 round mag w/ 5? Also there are provisions for tube magazine rifles. It is simpler to just use a 5 round magazine.
New mex is 5 rounds also I think on hunting