MacFarland .458 WM
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > MacFarland .458 WM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default MacFarland .458 WM

I am in need of the help of the collective experience of this great forum. I recently purchased a .458 WM from an older gentleman who has sold off his 60+ year collection. This rifle is built on a Mauser 98 action and is beautiful, it was made by Harold E. MacFarland, I do not know when or where. It was made for an individual (who I will not name unless I can get his permission), I have been unable to find any date on the rifle. It has an offset Paul Jaeger scope mount (the first one I have seen). The wood and engraving appear to be first rate. I have googled and have only been able to find out that Harold E. MacFarland wrote a couple of classic gun smithing books, one he co-authored with Bob Brownell. I have ordered both of these books from Amazon and should have them next week. I am seeking any and all information about this rifle, the maker and the scope mount. I appreciate any light that can be shed on these subjects. I would love to know when it was made and if there are any others like it. Thank you.

image-3633742961.jpg   image-2661366836.jpg   image-477272584.jpg   image-1629776537.jpg   image-3593032904.jpg  

image-329714955.jpg   image-1482794744.jpg   image-1278357405.jpg   image-2462766031.jpg   image-2852476774.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #2

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

No info but that is beautiful.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #3

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

The scope mount is not offset, but a commercial long side rail. You can remove the scope by lifting the 2 levers and slide it off. When you put it back on it will still be zero'd. I've never seen a U.S. made one before. I have a number of them but they are Swedish or German. Your rifle is most likely a mid 1950's build. It has all the classic lines of the day. What is the scope??
One question, Are you sure it is a .458 Win Mag?? The cartridge was introduced in 1956 and was developed as an elephant cartridge. It fit standard actions such as the '98. That is a beast!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #4

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Thats a buety I know I'm gonna get some flack for what I'm about to say but have you shot it?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 04-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
The scope mount is not offset, but a commercial long side rail. You can remove the scope by lifting the 2 levers and slide it off. When you put it back on it will still be zero'd. I've never seen a U.S. made one before. I have a number of them but they are Swedish or German. Your rifle is most likely a mid 1950's build. It has all the classic lines of the day. What is the scope??
One question, Are you sure it is a .458 Win Mag?? The cartridge was introduced in 1956 and was developed as an elephant cartridge. It fit standard actions such as the '98. That is a beast!!
I am sure it is a .458, it is marked and the shells fit, though I have not fired it yet. I have found a little about Paul Jaeger online, I guess his scope mount is fairly rare. I called it offset because of the way it attaches, though I understand it is not a true offset mount, thank you for the explanation of it. I had assumed the rifle was built in the early 60's as that seems to be when Mr. MacFarland was most active (as an author anyway).

Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #6

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskinny View Post
I am sure it is a .458, it is marked and the shells fit, though I have not fired it yet. I have found a little about Paul Jaeger online, I guess his scope mount is fairly rare. I called it offset because of the way it attaches, though I understand it is not a true offset mount, thank you for the explanation of it. I had assumed the rifle was built in the early 60's as that seems to be when Mr. MacFarland was most active (as an author anyway).
That was quite a specialty rifle. I bet it worth some coin. Congrats on a great rifle.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #7

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

That is a beautiful classic in a great chambering. I'd love to get my hands on a rifle like that one. Congrats, that is a fine gun!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree. that is one beautiful looking rifle. you can see someone put a lot of work and attention to detail into it. very impressive rifle.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #9

It is a very nice rifle, and I am sure there is more to the story of Harold E. MacFarland. The guy wrote two books dealing with gunsmithing, one of which is still used in schools today. There has to be someone out there that knows where he worked, or how many guns he built, or anything. Google has failed me this time.