MA registration question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > MA registration question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 03:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default MA registration question

Hello,
I live in Massachusetts and have a question I cannot seem to find an answer for anywhere. I know someone whom would like to give me his rifle and shotgun. The only issue is that they do not technically belong to him. They were given to him a while back, maybe around 30 yrs or so, by the widow of a friend who didnt want them in the house. At the time he was not aware of registration laws and did not know he had to transfer ownership. I was wondering if anyone knew how we might resolve this registration and ownership issue since the widow has since died.

thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2009, 04:21 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8860 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Link to MA law: M.G.L. - Chapter 140, Section 129c

Having read thru it, my best advice is to (a) contact a local dealer the in Mass for some guidance- it will depend on the type of gun- long or short- and (b) MOVE!!! Laws are a LOT simpler here in Virginia! (We doan need no stinkin' firearms permit to OWN a gun)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #3

Thanks for the responce.
So basicaly what its saying is submitt a report that explains the situation, saying that this guy got them a while ago, put them in his attic, forgot about them, and now thinks ill make better use of them, and hope that I appeal to MA better nature and they push through a new registration. Right? Most likely, knowing MA, they will hand deliver a hefty fine and seize the firearms.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8860 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Chip- you may very well be right. See answer (b) above. OTOH, how do they handle your inheriting firearms from your distant relative in another state that does not require "registration"? MOST states do not HAVE "firearms registration".

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #5

Well maybe i will move one day, but right know I'm stuck in school and have no means to move. In MA all non antique firearms have to be registered. If you inherit a firearm it is much easier to transfer a registration, is guess its more like a proof of ownership and a way to track it. Unfortunately i am not related to the man who wants to give it to me, nor was he related to the woman who gave it to him, nor was it stated in any will that he was to inherit them, the widow just didn't like them in the house and passed them off to him. I will try your other suggestion and talk to a local arm dealer, and the man who wants to give them to is friendly with the police chief so ill see if I can get him to talk to the chief.

Last edited by chip102; 11-02-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #6

well according to <http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_ma.htm> i dont have to register the guns, but i have to submit a transfer of ownership form to my local PD, so basicaly im still stuck with how to explain this whole messed up situation. O well.

"Guns kill people.
Bull Sh*t!
Guns dont kill people, husbands who come home early kill people. The gun was just sitting there. So if guns kill people, that means I can blame my bad spelling on my pencil."
-Larry the Cable Guy