M91/30 russian mosin nagant bolt-action rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M91/30 russian mosin nagant bolt-action rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You will never regret it. A blast to shoot. Ammo is cheap, they can be very accurate and did i mention that it is a blast to shoot?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #12

So ... These Mosin Nagants... mounting a present day scope is a pain from what I am researching due to the vertical bolt action? Was really looking hard at this weapon. Am in the market for a 100yard rifle that can be scoped for range fun...

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Turned down bolts are pretty easy to find for these. Putting an original mount isnt easy to do but the original sniper mounts hold zero after many removals and remountings. Ive never come across a modern mount system that works anywhere near as well.

For ww2 its about as good a rugged sniper rifle base as you can get.

Several companies make no drill mounts but i dont personally know anything about them. Cant give ya links as im typing from my nook atm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #14

Are those WWII mounts pretty accessible (price wise and availability wise)? Can you mount a modern scope on them? I've seen Mosin Nagant M91/30s that had the original scope and mount - sniper model - But they were like $450 instead of $99

Quote:
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #15

Liked 719 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Are those WWII mounts pretty accessible (price wise and availability wise)? Can you mount a modern scope on them? I've seen Mosin Nagant M91/30s that had the original scope and mount - sniper model - But they were like $450 instead of $99
If you want to mount a modern scope I wouldnt use the PU style. There are lots of different mounts for the Mosin. The "easy" way would be to use the "no-smith" scout mount, but you gotta use a long eye relief scope and you lose your open sights. I think ATI makes a kit that comes with a mount and bolt conversion, but the bolt takes some drilling and tapping. A quick look on ebay showed all kinds of bent bolt kits and services. I couldnt find the guy who modified my bolt on ebay, he did all kinds of cool stuff to 'em. You could have the bolt bent in the original sniper style or swept at different angles, and he could convert the safety to a pull ring style. It was very good work too, it looks totally factory.

Last edited by Trez; 06-02-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #16

I guess I'll forgo the scope on the Mosin that I plan to buy (who can pass up $99 for a vintage WWII rifle even if it is not US ? ) and go back to my original plan which was a ruger 10/22 stainless barrel / synthetic stock with some sort of scope for the 100 yard plinking fun (cheaper ammo too).

I'll just have the Mosin and occasionally shoot it iron site.

Quote:

Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #17

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default ATI kits

The ATI conversion kit requires cutting off your bolt handle and attaching another useing a socket head allen screw.
The bolt mod is kinda hokeey but you keep your same bolt body, the problem is shooting them lacquer coated steel cased rounds and gumming the chamber, now your yanking on a #10 cap head screw instead of the old steel bolt handle. which can eventually work loose when its been fired awhile, Best to buy the ATI scope if you want it to stay a scoped rifle this leaves some really huge ugley holes on top the receiver.
I'd suggest investing on a scout mount and long eye relief scope then you have a cheap scout rifle with floor plate and can load quick useing stripper clips, (you cannot load all 5 rounds in a Mosin mag and close the bolt on a empty chamber)the scope mount is attached to the front receicer by two #10 machine screws, the mount holes have to be done by a scope mount Jig and have to make abaolutely shure its straight or your goona be bumming bigtime, I paid $40 to have a gunsmith drill my rifle.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 06-06-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #18

I know this is an older thread, but my neighbor encouraged me to get one of these- where can you get one now? Big 5 is out, AIM surplus is out- anyone selling one?

Stevo