M91/30 russian mosin nagant bolt-action rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M91/30 russian mosin nagant bolt-action rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M91/30 russian mosin nagant bolt-action rifle

Hello all. I can get one of these at Big 5's for $99. M91/30’ RUSSIAN MOSIN NAGANT BOLT-ACTION RIFLE. Anyone have any experience with these? Is this a good deal? I would get it just because I like war history and items. I would shoot it occasionally. Any info would be great.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2011, 01:48 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sola7 View Post
Hello all. I can get one of these at Big 5's for $99. M91/30’ RUSSIAN MOSIN NAGANT BOLT-ACTION RIFLE. Anyone have any experience with these? Is this a good deal? I would get it just because I like war history and items. I would shoot it occasionally. Any info would be great.
$99 aint a bad price at all. There are plenty of guys on here that have one or more Mosins. I myself may get one for fathers day this year.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:17 AM   #3

Likes Given: 2

I have one, I bought mine for $90, It came with a bayonet, Dog Collar, ammo pouch, blah blah blah, Big-5 may not sell all the extra stuff, But that is up to you weather you want it or not.
I say go for it, Be sure to inspect them well, Some can be hit or miss, Check out 7.62x54R.net there is a lot of great info there.

Mine...

Old 05-19-2011, 02:22 AM   #4

it will be the best $99 you ever spend...............nothing like setting a large steel target up 800 yards away and spending an afternoon with some buddies seing who can get the most hits with iron sites

I used to have one with a scope on it and it out shot my friends 223 varmint riffle after about 300 yards LOL

you can buy a case of 880 rounds for something like $139

Old 05-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #5

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mosin bolt & counter boreing

there a pretty sound rifle and the only two things I ever heard were the sticking of fired casses in the chamber after fireing this is because of a buildup of a coating found on certain surpluse cartridges, the Steel case ones with a Laquer coating, some the laquer rubbs or melts to the walls the chamber you will need a good quality chamber cleaning brush, also make shure your bolt caming contact points are greased(cocks on opening) so a stubbern case and a dry cam can really bite when shooting.

The other item is accuracy, since you own a rifle that was most likely used in a war, its accuracy might not be that great, some the mosins had been counterbored (back drilling the muzzle) to repair cleaning rod damage I once had a 91/30 that with over 2" of counter bore.
counter boreing is a acceptable repair and you will see them from time to time so dont be spooked the muzzle will appear as if its 40 caliber or bigger.
one my kids has a yard sale .22 with 5.5" of counter bore and is very accurate (no I dident counterbore it).
If you want to scope it I'd suggest first two options of three, the russian (enemy at the gates) side mount that requires inletting the stock and changeing the bolt body (keep the same bolt head=head spaced) or buy a scout scope mount that clamps on the rear sight base and keep everthing original with no lasting damage as a collecter piece.
when the chamber is clean mosin's are fun to shoot.
Most folks dont like the idea of drilling and mounting a commercial scope mount to the receiver as collecters have a dim view of that. and its very hard to use the stripper clips to charge the mag on a rifle scoped like that.

You will buy it, who can pass up a centerfire rifle for $100? if its stamped [SA] on the left side the receiver/ barrel this rifle was used by Finland's military and may have had some accurizeing done already, when removing the stock pay attention for action shims(primitave action bedding)to firm the action, and the forearm and hand guard should be some what loose as they allow the barrel to move (freefloated) if its tight the stock /hand guard are pressing on the barrel and affects accuracy.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 05-19-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Got mine from Buds this morning. 1938-Numbers matching.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #7

Liked 719 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitSports6 View Post
I have one, I bought mine for $90, It came with a bayonet, Dog Collar, ammo pouch, blah blah blah, Big-5 may not sell all the extra stuff, But that is up to you weather you want it or not.
I say go for it, Be sure to inspect them well, Some can be hit or miss, Check out 7.62x54R.net there is a lot of great info there.

Mine...
Ive spent between $80-$100 on my Mosins from Big 5. They do come with all the stuff you pictured....

Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #8

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

If you get a Finn, SA stamped it will no longer have red shellac as the stock finish. It will be an oiled stock. This one is double SA stamped, one on each side. Original Finn capture 91/30's are not common and are not found w/ imports from ex soviet states, only Finland.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

AIM Surplus - $69

Worth every dollar. (and ammo is still cheap!)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

one of the best guns I've got only for $100 has a pretty good group at 200yards and really simple mechs.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."