Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M700, $600, AK-$500, 12-pump-$300,1022-$200

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20009 Times on 11376 Posts
Likes Given: 50487

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
People moan about needing a trigger job on a rifle. If you can't shoot a rifle reasonably well with a 6 or 8 lb trigger a 2 lb trigger is not going to help you. You can't buy something you never had. Dealing with a heavy trigger is easy. You put a little pressure on the trigger while aiming, then squeeze. It's just that simple! If you jerk a 6lb trigger you are going to jerk a 2lb trigger. You might shoot a little better with a 2lb trigger but it's not going to be that much better. Your form sucks and money cannot fix that.
sorry, but i can't agree with that line of reasoning. a better and lighter trigger pull does add to accuracy since it helps eliminate some of the human error of pulling the rifle off target.

on a hunting rifle, where you may have to rely upon whatever for a sutable rest in the field, or have to rely upon shooting unsupported, it may not be as critical. but on a target rifle, it makes perfect sense to use much lighter weight triggers.

i suspect, most target and benchrest shooters would disagree with your reasoning. many aftermarket makers of lightweight triggers probably disagree with such thoughts as well.

a really light weght trigger will not be a substitute for poor shooting skills, but is quite beneficial to those who do understand how to use them, and know how to shoot.
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
sorry, but i can't agree with that line of reasoning. a better and lighter trigger pull does add to accuracy since it helps eliminate some of the human error of pulling the rifle off target.

on a hunting rifle, where you may have to rely upon whatever for a sutable rest in the field, or have to rely upon shooting unsupported, it may not be as critical. but on a target rifle, it makes perfect sense to use much lighter weight triggers.

It is much harder to shoot a rifle accurately without a rest or an improvised rest. If you think it is easier to shoot a rifle without a rest you have no business in this conversation.

i suspect, most target and benchrest shooters would disagree with your reasoning. many aftermarket makers of lightweight triggers probably disagree with such thoughts as well.

a really light weght trigger will not be a substitute for poor shooting skills, but is quite beneficial to those who do understand how to use them, and know how to shoot.
Let me simplify this for you. I was trying to be informative. Since you know it all trying to be informative doesn't work. If you can't shoot a gun, even a Daisy Red Ryder accurately, you cannot shoot any gun accurately. Blaming thr trigger is BS when you have poor form. You cannot buy form or talent.

If you cannot shoot a hunting rifle accurately buying target rifle is not going to suddenly make you better shot. If you think you become a better shot without proper mechanics by getting trigger job or buying a better rifle you are dead wrong.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 06-29-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Let me simplify this for you. I was trying to be informative. Since you know it all trying to be informative doesn't work. If you can't shoot a gun, even a Daisy Red Ryder accurately, you cannot shoot any gun accurately. Blaming thr trigger is BS when you have poor form. You cannot buy form or talent.

If you cannot shoot a hunting rifle accurately buying target rifle is not going to suddenly make you better shot. If you think you become a better shot without proper mechanics by getting trigger job or buying a better rifle you are dead wrong.
i never said i was blaming the trigger. i simply pointed out that your reasoning is flawed and explained why. which are quite valid points considering in the way i presented it.

if you think my reasoning is incorrect, then please prove them incorrect.

not once did i say, buying a target rifle would make anyone a better shooter. please stop trying to infer things i didn't say, or taking what i said out of context. that is rather rude and arrogant and doesn't prove anything other than you have a problem with reading comprehension.

at no point did i say a person could buy better shooting talent by buying a better trigger or a target rifle. that assumption is all on you sir.
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #14

Liked 859 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

I don't get the point of the OP. Is he selling those guns?

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #15

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

"can't carry it all" where, exactly, OP?

The F&S experts just debunked the
"trigger job" myth.

Sights? Try this-red stickers on the rear,
white primer and Glow-On on the front.

My AK hasn't left the safe in 7 years.
My SKS always makes it on the bus.
Quality milling always wins out over a
stamped POS with my friends.

The inherent issue with any Garand-style
action is you are forced to clean the
barrel from the muzzle end. That's all
Mini-14s, M1As, 10/22s, etc.

Finally, why convert, when you can buy
great 22LR-ARs for a couple hundred?

Really, for most practical purposes, a
Stainless steel Marlin 60 is lighter, cheaper,
has a lower profile, and is much easier to carry.

And what is your point with "military rounds"
when you want to use 22LR anyway?

Last edited by therewolf; 06-29-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i never said i was blaming the trigger. i simply pointed out that your reasoning is flawed and explained why. which are quite valid points considering in the way i presented it.

if you think my reasoning is incorrect, then please prove them incorrect.

not once did i say, buying a target rifle would make anyone a better shooter. please stop trying to infer things i didn't say, or taking what i said out of context. that is rather rude and arrogant and doesn't prove anything other than you have a problem with reading comprehension.

at no point did i say a person could buy better shooting talent by buying a better trigger or a target rifle. that assumption is all on you sir.
I never mentioned benchrest shooting. Everything you said is something you snatched out of thin air. I just said if you jerk a 6 lb trigger, you will jerk a 2lb trigger. How can you possibly debate that statement? Nothing you said was relevant to my post.

After reading your post you lost all credibility with me. You are a keyboard bully and nothing more. When you can carry on a sensible conversation and stay on topic let me know. I might consider your words as worth reading.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #17

Quote:
I never mentioned benchrest shooting. Everything you said is something you snatched out of thin air. I just said if you jerk a 6 lb trigger, you will jerk a 2lb trigger. How can you possibly debate that statement? Nothing you said was relevant to my post.

After reading your post you lost all credibility with me. You are a keyboard bully and nothing more. When you can carry on a sensible conversation and stay on topic let me know. I might consider your words as worth reading.
there is less chance you will jerk a 2 lb. trigger vs. a 6 lb. trigger. which one requires less pressure before it fires? DUH! a 2 lb. trigger.

and now you have gone and hurt my feelings with such remarks!
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 10:25 PM   #18
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
People moan about needing a trigger job on a rifle. If you can't shoot a rifle reasonably well with a 6 or 8 lb trigger a 2 lb trigger is not going to help you. You can't buy something you never had. Dealing with a heavy trigger is easy. You put a little pressure on the trigger while aiming, then squeeze. It's just that simple! If you jerk a 6lb trigger you are going to jerk a 2lb trigger. You might shoot a little better with a 2lb trigger but it's not going to be that much better. Your form sucks and money cannot fix that.
J.D.,You are correct about someone that can't shoot well with a heavy trigger,they in general can't shoot well with a lighter pull trigger.
I hate heavy triggers,and either do a trigger job on them myself,or swap out the factory units for aftermarket triggers.
Shooting offhand will show just how well a shooter has in the areas of trigger control,and shooting technique,and there are plenty of guys that always shoot off of rest,and never practice offhand.
Then they wonder why they can't hit the broadside of a barn when they are out hunting in the field.

It's kind of like pulling a trailer. Almost anyone can pull one forward,but unless you have the skill and have practiced backing one up,you more than likely can't do it very well.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 11:10 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2603 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Geez, if all that will be accomplished here is to give some folks an opportunity to argue, we are done

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Closed Thread