M70 in a rare...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M70 in a rare...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M70 in a rare...

caliber and gun. I own (more by accident than good planning) a pretty rare model 70 in the .225 Winchester. Ser no. suggests it was manufactured circa 1967. Better yet, the rifle is a Delux grade with hanging tag. It's the real deal, completely original, like new condition and the barrel would suggest few rounds ever went through it. With the rifle came photo copied pages with a history of the caliber and a listing of the rifles manufactured by Winchester (Olin) in this calibler. It claimed that only 140-odd M70's in the Delux grade were ever chambered for the .225. I am unable to trace the article or verify these claims.
In summary, I was curious if anyone here could comment/verify.

Thanks.
vern-m12

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I never heard of a .225 Win chambering and can't find it in my reloading manuals. I imagine finding or forming brass will be difficult and expensive, and since it was made in 1967, it's not a pre-64 bolt with controlled round feed. It would probably be worth a decent penny to Mod.70 collectors. It may also make a decent deer/varmint rifle.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've never heard of a 225 win either but I would be intersted in most information if anyone has any.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

65144 - .225 Winchester Super-X Rifle Cartridge, 55-Grain Pointed Soft Point Bullet, 3570 fps, 20 Rounds per Box

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America,and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, under God, indivisible,
With Liberty and Justice for all.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #5

The 225 went the way of the dodo. Winchester intended for it to replace the 220 Swift but didn't happen. Neck down a 30-30 case to 22, shorten it, turn the rim to '06 size and improve the cartridge. Not much demand for the rifle in that chambering, but someone would be glad to rebarrel it given a chance. Next time you guys are at a gunshow or such look for older handloading manuals, they tend to have the loads and details for these dead cartridges.