Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M6 scout or NEF survivor(tamer)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default M6 scout or NEF survivor(tamer)

Looking for a little advice on a good survival/ hunting rifle. So far I have heard many good things about both long rifles. I am seeking to know what other think of these to guns and which they think is better and why.
What do you think of their accuracy?
How reliable and well built are the two?
Are they good enough that you would buy either one?
Thank you

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #2

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I would probably buy a marlin pss- Typical marlin accuracy. More round on hand before reloading and not many things you can't kill with a .22lr with well placed shots.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/70PSS.asp

Old 07-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5847 Times on 3194 Posts
Likes Given: 11066

I have an M6 in .22LR/.410 Fit is a little loose. Accuracy is poor but manageable. Reliability is great. The stock holds 15 rifle cartridges and 4 shells. It does have the advantage of having both chambers loaded. It just takes a simple push or pull of the selector to go from one barrel to the other; so follow up shots can be accomplished without reloading, albeit with the other caliber. I has a weird trigger that you squeeze with your whole hand. It's not bad, just different. I took the trigger guard off. I think the Survivor also shoots .45 Colt, M6 does not.

No offense and none taken

Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5129 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

If your main gun is an ar15 grab a cmmg conversion one mag and a box of shells. Fits in the bottom of a pack or a molle pouch. Accurate enough for hunting without the need for carrying another gun.

Secondly i would take the ruger 10/22 takedown accuracy to 100 yards very small lightweight if you use an adm qd mount on your main gun optic you can record the number of cross bolt nut turns to tighten to either rail and the number of clicks needed for both rifles on the optic to set zeros without needing to reshoot.

Im not a huge fan of the socalled survival rifles. They just arent very durable. I would prolly opt for a cricket over the dedicated survivor type offerings

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #5

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I had to choose a gun in this category, I would have to go with the Savage Model 24. However I have seen the new style M42 they came out with and I don't care for them at all. I'm not sure how I feel about the trigger on the M6 scout I think it would take a lot of getting use to, and I'm not a big fan of the single shot capability of the NEF/Rossi. Either the Rossi or the NEF are ok guns in the .22, .410, 20ga, but in my experience the larger calibers tend to shoot loose over time.

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Last edited by PappaJim; 07-26-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you very much JonM, one of my biggest concerns is that I was looking to get a ruger 10/22 but I haven't seen any 22 ammo in almost 4 months. And I know the bed survivor has a 12 gauge barrel so I can get some adapters to make it shoot 30-06, .308, 20,28,410,45 colt, .223, 22 so I like the fact I can have an adapter with me and not worry about having a ammo I can't shoot or running out of ammo so I would much rather have something bigger like a 308 size and an adapter. Then be stuck with a 22. And no ammo

Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5129 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

For survival purposes you dont need a ton of ammo. Cant carry it if you had it.

Shooting small game will get you by while you figure out how to fish trap and hunt with a bow.

Sooner or later bullets run out. Then what??

I practice shooting a longbow and hunting with it on rabbits in my backyard. If your looking at it from a survival perspective guns arent a good end game. You need something that can be made using a knife.

Just my take on it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I definitely agree and I am very comfortable with longbows and crossbows even though I prefer longbows

Old 07-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #9

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In Minnesota small game and Deer season over lap. I have a Chiappa 1911-22 that I put Hogue 1911 grips on or a custom Ruger Mk II that I carry on my hip when I'm hunting. A 30.06 for the big game and if something happened that I had to spend the night out in the woods the .22 will work for small game. I have about $250 total into the Chiappa, I don't feel that is out of line and the quality and accuracy is actually pretty good for a low cost gun.

dsc00146.jpg   dsc00147.jpg  

Jim Richards
Minnesota Based Field Man for Alkali International Corp.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I thank everyone very much for all their advice