Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > m44 extraction problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Default m44 extraction problems

I took my m44 to the range today and after I shot what I think was 8 shots, I went to eject the second shells out of the last 4 shells I put into the carbine AND IT WOULDN'T COME OUT. We looked into the chamber and the shell swelled up and plugged the chamber. I know that some loads swell when you shoot them. when we got home I messed around with it and tried to fix it and came to the conclusion that the bolt needed to be cleaned to the point that the extractor was so dirty that it wouldn't move enough to clip onto the rim of the shell and properly extract the shell after firing. My dad's 91-30 had the same swelling problem but I could always get the bolt up eventually. I know there are other factors that come into effect and cause mosins (including the m44) to do that. Please help!!!!!!!!! I shoot the old surplus shells.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #2

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I would beat the bolt open with a hammer on my own gun if need be. Even breaking the extractor if necessary, they're cheap, and easily replaceable. These old war horses have shown they can take even worse abuse than that.

If you rip the case head off, oh Damn. If not, punch it out with a rod.

Then polish your chamber. There are many ways of doing this, from wire brushes chucked in a drill (my preferred), hours of work with liberal amounts of elbow grease, and in one case I heard of, a guy punched the primer from a spent brass, welded a rod into the primer hole, chucked it in a drill, coated the casing with polishing compound, and went to town. I DON'T recommend that last method. Just because I don't see where polishing with a solid metal object could be a good thing.

What you're having a problem with, is the goo in the chamber from storage, and the goo on the casings, are getting hot when you fire your rifle, and basically gluing the case into the chamber.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2579 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Laquer build up is the most probable cause. A GOOD solvent like paint thinner or (ugh) gasoline will cut the goo. The Mosin was designed as a winter rifle. American summer heat only contributes to the problem

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

locutus Likes This 
Old 06-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #4

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Get yourself a length of 1.5 inch PVC pipe long enough to fit the barrel (might be 2 inch I can check when I get home), put a cap on the end then put the barrel in it and fill it up to the tippy top with mineral spirits and let it soak soak soak. Remember to take apart the trigger assembly So it fits in the pvc better. Don't forget to wipe it all off and get some oil on it. That's how I've degreased the 3 Mosins I have and no sticky bolt for me!

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #5

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
Get yourself a length of 1.5 inch PVC pipe long enough to fit the barrel (might be 2 inch I can check when I get home), put a cap on the end then put the barrel in it and fill it up to the tippy top with mineral spirits and let it soak soak soak. Remember to take apart the trigger assembly So it fits in the pvc better. Don't forget to wipe it all off and get some oil on it. That's how I've degreased the 3 Mosins I have and no sticky bolt for me!
That might work. But what do you do with the sights that are already mounted on the barrel?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #6

Liked 2436 Times on 1388 Posts
Likes Given: 1909

The old combloc surplus can split from neck down to the rim.

I keep some old 7.62x54R brass that's split all the way down

the side for conversation pieces. Generally, tapping lightly

with a wooden dowel rod will dislodge the shell, but sometimes

you just have to get a cold rolled iron rod from the hardware store

and get down.

The chamber absorbed cosmoline over 50 years of storage.

After you fired a few shots, the barrel heated up,gunpowder residue

mixed with the melting cosmoline, and caused the textbook jam.

I've had good success cleaning it with a 20 gauge bore swab

connected to a short section of cleaning rod. Just drop the bolt,

(pull the trigger with the bolt in the rearward position)attach a

drill to the cleaning rod, and let-er-rip. Water and dawn dish detergent

works pretty well for me, followed by ATF. Dry the chamber

and barrel after cleaning, and apply either a little Mobil1,

or some more ATF, depending on your preference.

And enjoy your new carbine.

Last edited by therewolf; 06-21-2013 at 05:31 AM.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #7

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy420

That might work. But what do you do with the sights that are already mounted on the barrel?
The only part that won't fit will be the front sight, the only part that really matters is the action. Take your bolt apart and soak that as well.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2