Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M4 or ACR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M4 or ACR

i was looking into getting an ACR because it looks cooler but does it work as good or better than the M4 or AR15. i also herd that the army is going to adopt the ACR as there standared infintry weapon in 2013 is this true i heard it passed all the army testing in march of this year. i think its cool because it shoots 5.56, 6.5 grendel, 6.8 and 7.62x39. and it can take pmags aswell as an AK mag. i hope the army adopts

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5247 Times on 2737 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithee View Post
i was looking into getting an ACR because it looks cooler but does it work as good or better than the M4 or AR15. i also herd that the army is going to adopt the ACR as there standared infintry weapon in 2013 is this true i heard it passed all the army testing in march of this year. i think its cool because it shoots 5.56, 6.5 grendel, 6.8 and 7.62x39. and it can take pmags aswell as an AK mag. i hope the army adopts
highly unliekly. the m16 series does all that with a lighter simpler package. cept ak mags but that isnt a us military need. with all the budget issues its pretty much not going to happen just to switch to a tacti-cool firearm that is less adaptable than the m16

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
highly unliekly. the m16 series does all that with a lighter simpler package. cept ak mags but that isnt a us military need. with all the budget issues its pretty much not going to happen just to switch to a tacti-cool firearm that is less adaptable than the m16
Actually the ACR is more than 1 pound lighter and the army says more simpler to operate clean and learn how to shoot. Has hardly no jams to pass army testing I think the gun has to have continuously like 12,000 or more rounds thru it with no jams to even pass phase 1 of testing. And it can actually take more attachments then the ar15 variant. Also the nickname flor the ACR is the Glock of assault rifles. And more fun facts the ACR won 2011 rifle of the year award. The only thing I agree with you about is the budget issues that would probably be a huge factor in the decision. also the spec. Forces use the ACR. But If I was in charge I would want my men to have the best weapons equipment and camo (multicam which is going to replace current camo by 2014)

Old 04-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

1) Because some units in Spec-Ops may, or may not, use a product is ZERO indication of it ever making it into the hands of the common, hard working soldier, marine, sailor, airman. Special Operations are "Special" for a reason.

2) Picked up a paper or seen a news broadcast lately? The economy is shot to hell and every state, federal and most local governments are over budget and cutting programs.

To think that the government is going to okay billions of dollars in spending to replace one rifle with another that do the same thing, across the board, is pie in the sky dreaming.

6.8spc isn't a common round. No advantage to retooling Salt Lake to load millions of new rounds. It's just to expensive and lacks extended range that the 5.56mm already delivers.

6.5 Grendel? See above, but it does offer better range

There is no immediate advantage to retooling and retraining our entire military mid conflict, with elections looming, there is about a 5% chance, at best, this comes to pass.

Unless you privatize the entire military model. I wonder what Machiavelli would say about that?!

JD

Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5247 Times on 2737 Posts
Likes Given: 330

the rest of it is subjective.

acr 7lbs empty
m16a4 carbine 6.3lbs empty

to get the modularity of the m16 you have to attach heavy rails upping the weight into the range of the m16a2. the main problem is the acr uses a gas piston system which adds a LOT of weight for no extra reliability or ease of use.

gas pistons are better for long sustained full auto but the us military doesnt use fa anymore in individual rifles. there is no real gain for the massive cost.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...