M1A1 SOCOM Tight Mag Well - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M1A1 SOCOM Tight Mag Well

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 05:09 AM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,801
Liked 8969 Times on 5212 Posts
Likes Given: 11793

Default

This is a new rifle. The one mag I have is a 10-round Springfield stamped piece, and it is now gouged up from inserting it a couple of times. I am pretty confident it is the mag well that is causing the issue. Since I only have one mag I will wait until I have tried some of the after-market mags I have ordered. I will not force them to seat if they show any sign of jamming into the well (which is the case with the one I have.)

__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gunny91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 112
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Thats exactly what I would do...it will eliminate one of the reasons that could be causing the drag no matter what brand or design the mag is as long as its the mag for that specific model u will be fine if it feeds the bullets with no issues and is not c auseing any visible damage to the firearm or the mag ....then its doing what it was intended to do trust me i have handled quite a few

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

__________________
gunny91 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hill/Valley/rooftops,Downrange
Posts: 182
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
This is a new rifle. The one mag I have is a 10-round Springfield stamped piece, and it is now gouged up from inserting it a couple of times. I am pretty confident it is the mag well that is causing the issue. Since I only have one mag I will wait until I have tried some of the after-market mags I have ordered. I will not force them to seat if they show any sign of jamming into the well (which is the case with the one I have.)
I wouldnt force them either. If the mag isnt an SAI marked mag, then your SOL if the finish is damaged on another mag.

FWIW...... There can be several differences between magazines when it comes to the M1A. Some can vary to such a degree that they are not worth buying. ( Found out the hard way firsthand with Promag)

What brand of aftermarket mags do you have?
__________________

Grunt


Last edited by fragout; 01-08-2014 at 02:30 PM.
fragout is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 AM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,801
Liked 8969 Times on 5212 Posts
Likes Given: 11793

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
I wouldnt force them either. If the mag isnt an SAI marked mag, then your SOL if the finish is damaged on another mag.

FWIW...... There can be several differences between magazines when it comes to the M1A. Some can vary to such a degree that they are not worth buying. ( Found out the hard way firsthand with Promag)

What brand of aftermarket mags do you have?
I only have one SA stamped factory mag. I have a few after-market mags on backorder right now. I am going to send the rifle in for repair while I wait for the mags to come in.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hill/Valley/rooftops,Downrange
Posts: 182
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I only have one SA stamped factory mag. I have a few after-market mags on backorder right now. I am going to send the rifle in for repair while I wait for the mags to come in.
Here is the SAI Customer service #
1-800-680-6866


Here are 2 places that I have bought M14 magazines from.

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14accessories.html

http://www.44mag.com/category/m1a_m14_magazines_usgi


Both sell good quality properly constructed M14/M1A magazines, and both have them in stock. Both are pleasant to deal with, and sell exactly what's advertised. ( I'm not affiliated in any way. Just a happy customer.)
__________________

Grunt


Last edited by fragout; 01-09-2014 at 05:05 AM.
fragout is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
M-14/M1a1 scope mounts mrm14 Optics & Mounts 54 09-21-2013 02:43 AM
M1a1 loads hoganfireman Ammunition & Reloading 6 04-16-2013 07:39 PM
M1A1 Sight In Catman General Rifle Discussion 5 07-18-2012 12:45 PM
Nicer? M1A1 or M1928? jestsumguy Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 12 03-14-2010 08:33 PM
Springfield M1A1 Question jomik Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 6 07-18-2009 01:44 PM