M1A vs AR10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M1A vs AR10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Which is inherently more accurate? Not trying to start a flame war, or a which is better war, but if both rifles were in a vise, which would hold the tighter group? We can go off topic from there, debating the pros and cons of each.

This is because I'm curious about both, not looking to buy either one anytime real soon (I would like to have both eventually, but as many of you know, money isn't a commodity I have much of)

This is also because I would like to see a good clean discussion on a one or the other type of rifle thread.

I'll go first, and maybe kill the thread before it starts, I think the AR10 may beat the M1A in inherent accuracy.

I would say lets keep it to Armalite and Springfield, but go ahead and debate different makes, why the hell not?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #2

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Which is inherently more accurate? Not trying to start a flame war, or a which is better war, but if both rifles were in a vise, which would hold the tighter group? We can go off topic from there, debating the pros and cons of each.

This is because I'm curious about both, not looking to buy either one anytime real soon (I would like to have both eventually, but as many of you know, money isn't a commodity I have much of)

This is also because I would like to see a good clean discussion on a one or the other type of rifle thread.

I'll go first, and maybe kill the thread before it starts, I think the AR10 may beat the M1A in inherent accuracy.

I would say lets keep it to Armalite and Springfield, but go ahead and debate different makes, why the hell not?
I would think it would depend on the model of AR10...mine is an A4C...so the M1 will probably be more accurate. However, I'd suspect a superSASS to at least match it.

That is all just opinion, however.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, if you keep it to an M1A then you are limited to only Springfield as that is their propritary nomenclature, but if you open it up to all M14 type platforms, then you may get some different oppinions on what is more accurate.

I have never shot an AR-10 but spent my time on the M-16 in the service and I would think that if load and projectiles are removed from the equation and only the actual platform evaluated, I would think the M14 with the longer line of sight and lower sight mounts would lend itself to being able to be more accurate by design, at least for the first shot. Some may argue the second shot advantage is lost on the M14 due to the Op-Rod movement.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #4

The super SASS:

image-1929236083.jpg

It is actually designed for long range.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #5

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Dang, I could have put a price limit or features stipulation on this...but I won't.

On a side note, I just looked at some M1As online, seems there's been a bit of a price jump. I used to be able to find them online for sub 1K...barely. But now the cheapest ones I see are 1,300 at the low end...

Old 01-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Dang, I could have put a price limit or features stipulation on this...but I won't.

On a side note, I just looked at some M1As online, seems there's been a bit of a price jump. I used to be able to find them online for sub 1K...barely. But now the cheapest ones I see are 1,300 at the low end...
Yeah...the ArmaLite SASS is gonna be in the 3k range...