m1a socom cleaning question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > m1a socom cleaning question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 03:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default m1a socom cleaning question

I just bought an M1A SocomII and I am having a hard time cleaning it. How do I take off the muzzle brake? I bought the castle nut pliers but I don't think this works for the socom models, I think those are just for the normal m1as.

help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Post some pictures of you muzzle break and the gas block. IIRC, the SOCOMs have a different style muzzle break than a standard M14.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #3

Removing the brake isn't a part of a normal cleaning program. If you're really worried, just spray the brake down with your carbon cleaner of choice and q-tip the brake holes out. The Gas System however, is a different horse all together. You'll be needing a gas drill set with a #15 (.180 dia) & Letter ‘P’ (.323 dia.) drill for scraping the carbon deposits gas system bores. The best set is available from Sadlak:

http://www.sadlak.com/si_tools.html

If you want, you can make your own with a set of drill bits, some epoxy and 1" oak dowel for handles.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:39 PM   #4

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcainman View Post
I just bought an M1A SocomII and I am having a hard time cleaning it. How do I take off the muzzle brake? I bought the castle nut pliers but I don't think this works for the socom models, I think those are just for the normal m1as.

help!
The castle nut pliers are for the castle nut. The Socom's muzzle brake doesnt use this type of system.
I wouldnt worry about removing the muzzle brake on a Socom.

Hope this helps some

Grunt