Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > m1a or ar .308?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosehead634 View Post
I have a SA scout rifle and a LMT MWS (AR-10 platform) just to back what everyone else is saying they are two completely different rifles. That being said the MWS shoot lights out and can hold its own against most bolt rifles. I can see why Britain chose them for their new DMR.
What about reliability in extended shooting sessions?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #22

Like any DI gun the Ar10 will start to fill up junk and then the bolt will become "gummed up" if you fail to clean the weapon after shooting it alot. Ive never heard of a M14 stoping due to powder build up in the action or on the bolt.

2011 FUN GUN SHOOT
SOUTH DAKOTA'S LARGEST MACHINE GUN SHOOT
www.fungunshoot.com

Old 12-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
They might have been designed about the same time but they remain very different rifles. They don't look like each other or feel like each other, not even close. They handle very differently. Both are very fine rifles.
I was only saying that in response to the people who were looking at the M14 as the "original" and the AR10 as some "newfangled thing with no real point." They were designed and introduced around the same time, just the AR10 happened to never get the chance to prove itself like the M14 (except as the M16).

Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by byemorammo

What about reliability in extended shooting sessions?
Hard to say. I shoot the scout open but the MWS suppressed. Like any DI system with a can on the end it gets dirty but I have never had it jam or lock up yet due to fouling. I ran it through a 3 day long range class and didn't clean until I was finished. It ran just fine. Two different systems that I love for very different reasons.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was going to say, there are lots of people who have done 1500-round weekend courses with AR15s and no cleaning, without a single stoppage. Clean and lube it well and it will run fine for a long time.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
I was only saying that in response to the people who were looking at the M14 as the "original" and the AR10 as some "newfangled thing with no real point." They were designed and introduced around the same time, just the AR10 happened to never get the chance to prove itself like the M14 (except as the M16).

Given the chance side by side in a military use senario I would have a hard time buying that a Ar10 could keep up with a M14.On the other hand the 5.56 M16 /M4 has proven with a few upgrades and a good cleaning every so often its a good weapon the same may be true for a the .30 cal version?

2011 FUN GUN SHOOT
SOUTH DAKOTA'S LARGEST MACHINE GUN SHOOT
www.fungunshoot.com

Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From what I'd read, the AR10 ran very well and it was only when they scaled it down to 5.56 for the M16 did it really start having all those teething issues. Even now, the only negative things I read about the AR10s are that the parts are somewhat proprietary and less common than the Ar15, though you don't exactly see M1A parts all over either.

*edit*

Now, I do agree, and this is not based on any particular evidence, that the M1A will probably be more reliable under harsh conditions than the AR10. But, I don't think the AR10 is any less reliable than the AR15, and there are many specimens of those showing great reliability.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 12-13-2011 at 03:09 AM.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #28

The M1A is a great rifle, in my opinion it is way better than the AR, but then again i wouldnt even buy another AR, i would buy a XCR if i could find another one

Come and Take 'em

Newest Threads