M1a - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M1a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

i more often than not carried a M60. the problem i have in the weight arena is the weight vs capability issue. with the m60 its ability lay down the hurt in a superior fashion. that same weight to kick butt factor isnt there with the M1a.

in my opinion
It's probably there, just not as rapid a whoop ass as an m60 with a 100 rd belt. Just my opinion. You would no better than me.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5668 Times on 2960 Posts
Likes Given: 375

If your looking for a 308 semi auto much better ootions out there than a fal or m1a most of them are based off the ar10 platform.

I fiddled around with semi auto 308s and decided on the best of the lot being the scar17. I do not regret that choice. Fantastic balance with a factor hovering just under a ar15/M16A2

ive seen rra lar308 and dpms 308 owners do amazing submoa groups at 300 yards.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #23

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
Trip got a field promotion!

My dad always believed in his day they'd find the smallest guy in a unit and give him the BAR. He had a BAR guy fall into a crater made by the softening artillary and he just could not climb out with his weapon but would not leave it behind. They had to go back and pull him out as a follow-up barrage stepped-up on them and almost got killed doing it.
Yep,I was a 17 year old kid,not a full man yet didn't even realy need to shave.

Your DAD was correct!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #24

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i more often than not carried a M60. the problem i have in the weight arena is the weight vs capability issue. with the m60 its ability lay down the hurt in a superior fashion. that same weight to kick butt factor isnt there with the M1a.

in my opinion
The M-60 is one big can of kick butt,but "I" liked the BAR for keeping opponents heads down,wile my zig-zaging squad was advancing,knowing friendly fire incidents will kill the man who committed it,I found the BAR more controllable,then the full bore M-60 meat grinder.

I just "wish" I had the money for a #3 stamp I'd have my BAR!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #25

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
If my pansy ass can carry a SAW, and LOVE it, for my entire enlistment, that really says a lot about people who don't like the weight of the M1A as a combat rifle.

As Hank mentioned, hunting rifle is a different story (although I'll use mine as my every day "go-to" rifle). But to say it's too heavy for combat? Puhleeze.... We have troops BEGGING for it right now because of the longer range engagements in Afghanistan.
That's right Trip. I was 5'6" and weighed 140 pounds and I managed to carry an M-60. I love my SA NM M1A but the only complaint I have is with the match sights. As I get older it gets more difficulty seeing through the small aperture. I don't see very many M-14s at the range these days, just AR-15s.
guns-002.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #26

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
If your looking for a 308 semi auto much better ootions out there than a fal or m1a most of them are based off the ar10 platform.

I fiddled around with semi auto 308s and decided on the best of the lot being the scar17. I do not regret that choice. Fantastic balance with a factor hovering just under a ar15/M16A2

ive seen rra lar308 and dpms 308 owners do amazing submoa groups at 300 yards.
FAL is the scars grandpa. I would love to have one but they are around $3000 right now. It's just too salty til I hit another good lick and have some real cash play with.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #27

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post

That's right Trip. I was 5'6" and weighed 140 pounds and I managed to carry an M-60. I love my SA NM M1A but the only complaint I have is with the match sights. As I get older it gets more difficulty seeing through the small aperture. I don't see very many M-14s at the range these days, just AR-15s.
Ya know, if you can't use the sights, that's a great reason to sell out to someone cheap...

Old 05-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Ya know, if you can't use the sights, that's a great reason to sell out to someone cheap...
Hmmm.....Trip, who do you think I should sell it to? I think I'll keep it around. I have some glasses that work pretty good with those match sights. It is really a fun rifle to shoot. I can bounce a pop can around rapid fire at 100 yards with it and that is good enough for me.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #29

Speaking of M-14, I think a lot of folks need to be reminded that the "M" does not stand for "mini". When I tell some people about the M-14 they do not know what I am talking about.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #30

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Me...most definitely.

By the way, I didn't read anything after "who do you think I should sell it to?"