Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M1a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

For Combat the M-1 and the M-14 are were perfect weapons,with the adrenalin pumping,and constant carrying one doesn't have a problem with bulkiness,"in my" estimation the M-1a would not make a good hunting rifle with that bulk.

For a show your Butt off at the range the M-1 and M-1a,well it don't get no better.

I carried the them all for 12.5 years US ARMY and had confidence in them..

Old 05-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #12

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If my pansy ass can carry a SAW, and LOVE it, for my entire enlistment, that really says a lot about people who don't like the weight of the M1A as a combat rifle.

As Hank mentioned, hunting rifle is a different story (although I'll use mine as my every day "go-to" rifle). But to say it's too heavy for combat? Puhleeze.... We have troops BEGGING for it right now because of the longer range engagements in Afghanistan.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #13

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

I've fired my cousins m1a socom and loved it. It's heavy if your used to ar's made out of aluminum. The weight is what keeps the beefy recoil down. I had a savings going for a .308 and found a good deal on an FAL. I don't regret buying the it over the m1a. It's an excellent weapon and love the adjustable gas block. Something about The Right Arm of the Free World just gets me. Maybe one day ill save up for an m1a.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
If my pansy ass can carry a SAW, and LOVE it, for my entire enlistment, that really says a lot about people who don't like the weight of the M1A as a combat rifle.

As Hank mentioned, hunting rifle is a different story (although I'll use mine as my every day "go-to" rifle). But to say it's too heavy for combat? Puhleeze.... We have troops BEGGING for it right now because of the longer range engagements in Afghanistan.
When in advanced Infantry School at 17 years of age,the ARMY made me one of the Squad BAR men,I thought I was going to die,carrying that railroad tie around on a forced march,my body built up and it was nothing after a few weeks of toting.

Not forgetting the butt end of a combat rifle,was meant to bash skulls in,and brains to flow out of,hence the heft of that weapon,not so with the M-16 BB Gun Mickey Mouse cluster ?I see you know your Sheeet trip287!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #15

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I enjoyed the looks I got when we did "weapons PT" wind sprints and 5-10 mile runs.

I didn't use a sling. Hell, I was never issued a sling to begin with.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #16

Quote:
I enjoyed the looks I got when we did "weapons PT" wind sprints and 5-10 mile runs.

I didn't use a sling. Hell, I was never issued a sling to begin with.
I went in the ARMY in 1956 to 1968+ a few months,times change and them 5-10 mile quick time marches are but a memory same with endless bayonet drilling,but we did it!

Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #17

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
I've fired my cousins m1a socom and loved it. It's heavy if your used to ar's made out of aluminum. The weight is what keeps the beefy recoil down. I had a savings going for a .308 and found a good deal on an FAL. I don't regret buying the it over the m1a. It's an excellent weapon and love the adjustable gas block. Something about The Right Arm of the Free World just gets me. Maybe one day ill save up for an m1a.
It actually beat the M-14 in trials and they were rigged to force adoption of the US made gun. The FAL is a phenominal .308 even in full auto (best in that SAW role with a bipod).

Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #18

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankStone View Post
When in advanced Infantry School at 17 years of age,the ARMY made me one of the Squad BAR men,I thought I was going to die,carrying that railroad tie around on a forced march,my body built up and it was nothing after a few weeks of toting.

Not forgetting the butt end of a combat rifle,was meant to bash skulls in,and brains to flow out of,hence the heft of that weapon,not so with the M-16 BB Gun Mickey Mouse cluster ?I see you know your Sheeet trip287!
Trip got a field promotion!

My dad always believed in his day they'd find the smallest guy in a unit and give him the BAR. He had a BAR guy fall into a crater made by the softening artillary and he just could not climb out with his weapon but would not leave it behind. They had to go back and pull him out as a follow-up barrage stepped-up on them and almost got killed doing it.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:

i more often than not carried a M60. the problem i have in the weight arena is the weight vs capability issue. with the m60 its ability lay down the hurt in a superior fashion. that same weight to kick butt factor isnt there with the M1a.

in my opinion

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

locutus Likes This 
Old 05-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #20

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock

It actually beat the M-14 in trials and they were rigged to force adoption of the US made gun. The FAL is a phenominal .308 even in full auto (best in that SAW role with a bipod).
It's an amazing rifle. Adopted by over 90 countries as standard military rifle. Looks like they F'd up back then. Anyone else heard that the US army just contracted FN for 100% of their M4s. No more colt, just wait for civilian prices to drop. Doesn't surprise me with FN supplying 70% of small arms to the US military and police already.

Newest Threads