M1a
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M1a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default M1a

Am about 1/2 way there saving $. Was wondering your thoughts on this system. It's just the next gun on my list. Other then a 10-22. an AK, an AR and a 30-06 I don't have much for rifles. Wanted something that was a larger caliber. Anyways....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #2

Liked 2186 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

They're good rifles. 1940s/1950s technology that is still fun to shoot. Some folks like to dump an extra thousand or two into them to make them into a precision platform that doesn't take constant tweeking to maintain accuracy on.

Me personally. I like them pretty close to stock, or in service rifle match form.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Another person dreaming of the M1A I see...

I'm saving for mine too. I'm probably at least a year away. Maybe more.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5650 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Ive owned 3 sold em all. I find them too clunky and big in any format. They ARE fun to shoot but the weight and extremely awkward balance isnt for me.

There is a reason the military ditched em like a hot potato with a grenade inside as soon as they could.

Top that with no way to really solidly mount a optic and all the tweeking and fiddling you have to do to keep it in running condition and its a rifle i have tried several times to like and keep failing to do it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

locutus Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

M14sRock is the M1A guru around here. He has a bunch of them from mild - wild.
He isn't a regular anymore,but still pops in every now and then.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5697 Times on 3221 Posts
Likes Given: 5104

I've had two M1A rifles (standard and Match) and an AR platform DPMS LR308 AP-4.

I still have the DPMS.

The M1A is solid, accurate, reliable platform. But for my taste, far too heavy for a 7.62 and the balance just "feels" all wrong to me.

Some folks really like 'em though.

If you get the chance, shoot both platforms before deciding.

Winston Churchill

Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #7

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I competed nationally with the M1A but am young enough that I never thought of the AR's as a "mousegun" and transitioned to them in High Power/Service Rifle. I did ask to be buried with my M1A... That becomes less and less likely as I do not intend on dying.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:01 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5650 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
I competed nationally with the M1A but am young enough that I never thought of the AR's as a "mousegun" and transitioned to them in High Power/Service Rifle. I did ask to be buried with my M1A... That becomes less and less likely as I do not intend on dying.
well... death rate is 100% everyone gets one and one is enough for anyone.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-29-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i had one many years ago. in some ways i miss it, and in some ways i don't. even the standard version is very accurate. the recoil is very gentle, because it's a heavy rifle. fun to shoot? hell yeah! i'd like to have another one just because, but compared to what i gave for mine many years ago, they are kind of pricey.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #10

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

in my opinion, the m14 is the best rifle ever designed. its civilian clone (m1a) is the same (just not capable of full auto).
though weigt of it and its ammo led to it being replaced as the military's individual weapon, its robustness and longer range effectiveness were sacrificed. its viet nam era m21 version has been reintroduced into today's battlefield.