Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   M1a (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/m1a-91375/)

pseudolus 05-28-2013 02:55 AM

M1a

Am about 1/2 way there saving $. Was wondering your thoughts on this system. It's just the next gun on my list. Other then a 10-22. an AK, an AR and a 30-06 I don't have much for rifles. Wanted something that was a larger caliber. Anyways....

SSGN_Doc 05-28-2013 03:00 AM

They're good rifles. 1940s/1950s technology that is still fun to shoot. Some folks like to dump an extra thousand or two into them to make them into a precision platform that doesn't take constant tweeking to maintain accuracy on.

Me personally. I like them pretty close to stock, or in service rifle match form.

trip286 05-28-2013 03:39 AM

Another person dreaming of the M1A I see...

I'm saving for mine too. I'm probably at least a year away. Maybe more.

JonM 05-28-2013 04:02 AM

Ive owned 3 sold em all. I find them too clunky and big in any format. They ARE fun to shoot but the weight and extremely awkward balance isnt for me.

There is a reason the military ditched em like a hot potato with a grenade inside as soon as they could.

Top that with no way to really solidly mount a optic and all the tweeking and fiddling you have to do to keep it in running condition and its a rifle i have tried several times to like and keep failing to do it

Txhillbilly 05-28-2013 04:03 AM

M14sRock is the M1A guru around here. He has a bunch of them from mild - wild.
He isn't a regular anymore,but still pops in every now and then.

locutus 05-28-2013 11:12 PM

I've had two M1A rifles (standard and Match) and an AR platform DPMS LR308 AP-4.

I still have the DPMS.

The M1A is solid, accurate, reliable platform. But for my taste, far too heavy for a 7.62 and the balance just "feels" all wrong to me.

Some folks really like 'em though.

If you get the chance, shoot both platforms before deciding.

MattShlock 05-28-2013 11:50 PM

I competed nationally with the M1A but am young enough that I never thought of the AR's as a "mousegun" and transitioned to them in High Power/Service Rifle. I did ask to be buried with my M1A... That becomes less and less likely as I do not intend on dying.

JonM 05-29-2013 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattShlock (Post 1260757)
I competed nationally with the M1A but am young enough that I never thought of the AR's as a "mousegun" and transitioned to them in High Power/Service Rifle. I did ask to be buried with my M1A... That becomes less and less likely as I do not intend on dying.

well... death rate is 100% everyone gets one and one is enough for anyone.

Axxe55 05-29-2013 04:48 AM

i had one many years ago. in some ways i miss it, and in some ways i don't. even the standard version is very accurate. the recoil is very gentle, because it's a heavy rifle. fun to shoot? hell yeah! i'd like to have another one just because, but compared to what i gave for mine many years ago, they are kind of pricey.

sniper762 05-29-2013 02:17 PM

in my opinion, the m14 is the best rifle ever designed. its civilian clone (m1a) is the same (just not capable of full auto).
though weigt of it and its ammo led to it being replaced as the military's individual weapon, its robustness and longer range effectiveness were sacrificed. its viet nam era m21 version has been reintroduced into today's battlefield.