M1a

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > M1a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Default M1a

image-2615925793.jpg

I'm having trouble finding any M1A threads on here. Does nobody own one or are they not talked about? I love mine, if you have one or want one let's hear your thoughts.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #2

dear god i love to have one of those. ive run into the same problem man, in here its mostly about mosin's or mausers.

but since youve asked so kindly. How do they act down range? 308's lose their putter around 800-or so ive heard. Im looking into a rifle that can suppress reliably at about 800, but can reach out to 1000 when needed. Also, is there another company that makes them reliably? i understand its gonna run me 1400 but i wonder if i have options.

my only other rifle for that idea is a SVD. but i dont know where the hell to get one other than that lucky find at a show. but again i have no clue about the 54R rnd, or where to get my hands on one that hasnt been rusting in a basement.

<Insert overused badass Latin phrase about war, or something>

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliferrum
dear god i love to have one of those. ive run into the same problem man, in here its mostly about mosin's or mausers.

but since youve asked so kindly. How do they act down range? 308's lose their putter around 800-or so ive heard. Im looking into a rifle that can suppress reliably at about 800, but can reach out to 1000 when needed. Also, is there another company that makes them reliably? i understand its gonna run me 1400 but i wonder if i have options.

my only other rifle for that idea is a SVD. but i dont know where the hell to get one other than that lucky find at a show. but again i have no clue about the 54R rnd, or where to get my hands on one that hasnt been rusting in a basement.
To tell ya the truth I've only shot it to about 350. It's an inch and a half gun at 100 with all but 1 load I tried. The 308 does loose energy and velocity at extended range but military and civilians regularly use them at 1000 and beyond. Not much punch then but it can still kill of course. The best answer to your ? I can think of that isn't a complete wildcat would be a 300 win mag. Hell some companies even make tailored ammo for such occasions. Can't deny the effectiveness or lethality of the 300 win mag.
I wasn't big in the M1A until I got mine. I now adore it.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6012 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

used to have one. it just didnt do what i really wanted. i didnt have good luck mounting a scope. they are good rifles just too heavy and not easy for scope mounting in my opinion. lots of fun to shoot however

i just prefer the garand over the m1a

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
To tell ya the truth I've only shot it to about 350. It's an inch and a half gun at 100 with all but 1 load I tried. The 308 does loose energy and velocity at extended range but military and civilians regularly use them at 1000 and beyond. Not much punch then but it can still kill of course. The best answer to your ? I can think of that isn't a complete wildcat would be a 300 win mag. Hell some companies even make tailored ammo for such occasions. Can't deny the effectiveness or lethality of the 300 win mag.
I wasn't big in the M1A until I got mine. I now adore it.
ive heard the same about the 300. but i dont bother with bolt action, the option im wanting with my LR is semi-auto. I dont feel like taking my eyes off target to reload or that long in between shots. But as youve said people use it for out to 1000, thats plenty enough for me.

<Insert overused badass Latin phrase about war, or something>

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 598

M14sRock,and MrM14 are the guru's on this forum about the M1A.

Look in the Auto & Semi Auto Discussion threads for topics on the M1A,there are plenty of them on there-Old & New threads.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
M14sRock,and MrM14 are the guru's on this forum about the M1A.

Look in the Auto & Semi Auto Discussion threads for topics on the M1A,there are plenty of them on there-Old & New threads.
Thank you Sir

Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #8

M1-A1 Bush, 1978 with box, outer cover and papers with beretta stock. Unfired.

p1010134.jpg  

Old 03-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #9

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have been a fan of the M-14 for a long time. I wanted one of these rifles since I was a kid and my wife bought me one for my 50th birthday. I have a SA NM M1A. I don't shoot it as often as I would like. Now just about everyone has some type of AR-15. I was once talking with a guy who said he had an "M-14". I invited him to come shoot with me. When he told me he had to pick up some ammo first I said I had plenty and would share mine. This guy shows up with a Mini 14. I kindly let him know the "M" in M-14 does not stand for "mini". I would like to shoot with others who have M14s/M1As.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Got three of them and they are fine rifles especially after "Ol Hook" accurized them. I handload for them and load sort of light loads--but very accurate. They also go into the woods a lot during the hunting season here.
I don't shoot them long range "so to speak," 300 is about max. I leave the long range shooting to my M700s.